Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sold, just serviced...

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Not sold, just serviced...

I talked to the LO today.   I asked if they sold the loans.  He said, "Nope.  But we do have them serviced."   Okay....

And the big four he named - ew!   GMAC, US Bank, Wells Fargo, and sometimes BA.  I have no say in who gets to "service" the loan.   Ok, guys, if I wanted to deal with those companies, I could have applied directly.

So, can anyone give me more information on this "servicing"?   Isn't it pretty much a sale of the loan?  I would have to make my payment to the "servicer"  and the "servicer" will report on the CR and the "servicer" is the main point of contact if there is an issue.   So again, what is the difference?  Is my lender acting more like a broker?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Not sold, just serviced...

For your purposes as a consumer, the loan is being transferred. You will not deal with the original loan broker at all. If the loan is being serviced by another company but held by the original issuer, they do not have the capacity to accept monthly payments, track the loan, issue tax statements, etc. so they pay another company to service the loan for them. They assume the liability of the loan still though... if you default, the broker is in trouble, not the servicer.

No, you have no choice in the matter, and anytime you go through a broker rather than an actual bank, they almost always sell the loan off.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

This is with my bank.  Smiley Happy    The same one that has no problem reporting to the IRS if they paid me a penny in interest.    They also have my cc.  

He was clear, the loan is NOT being sold, just serviced. Smiley Indifferent    Sounds to me like it's being sold.   Oh well, such is life.   *drumming my fingers*   

*** still  a member of the "wait for it..." club.

Thank you for your reply.   Smiley Happy   Sometimes it's lonely out here in this "wait for it..." club.   I think I am the only person in my branch!  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 6
doublespaces
Frequent Contributor

I have a similar situation, wondering when my mortgage company its going to transfer the loan to be serviced by someone else... My first payment goes to my original mortgage company. I just want it reported on my credit report asap.

Starting: EQ: 490 TU: ??? EX: ???
Current: EQ: 717 TU: 757 EX: 736 (lender)
Goal: 800+
=============
Amex: Zync, Gold Delta
Discover More
Chase Slate
Discover More
Message 4 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@doublespaces wrote:

I have a similar situation, wondering when my mortgage company its going to transfer the loan to be serviced by someone else... My first payment goes to my original mortgage company. I just want it reported on my credit report asap.

Hi doublespaces - why do you want your mortgage to post ASAP?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Really?   Your FICO score will likely tank for a short time and your current creditors may get cold feet and reduce the CL or close cards.  The creditors said they cancelled or reduced CL lines BECAUSE I had a mortgage.  Seriously.  That happened to me when I got my very first mortgage.   The score rebounded after some time and extra principle payments.    The CL never came back.  I never asked for them to come back either.

My current lender says that the mortgage should report 45+ days after closing.   If I close at the beginning of November, it  would most likely post January 2012 making it over 45 days, closer to 60 days.   If I close at the middle of November, it should post by January 2012, making it closer to 45 days.   If I close the last day of November, it probably won't finish processing internally until December, pushing the post date to as early as January 2012, but most likely February 2012.

Why do you want it to post quickly?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.