cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG! 10 year old judgment came up on title search!

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: OMG! 10 year old judgment came up on title search!

Find the individual you paid and have them prepare and record a Satisfaction now. 

If they contest the fact that you paid then you may need to negotiate with them. 

This is only if the judgement is still active. If it isn't, then don't do the above Smiley Surprised

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've seen on this, if it will in fact go dormant on 8/17, then you should be ok. The only ones that can tell you for sure would be the title company (will they clear the title) and your lender. Let us know how it turns out. Regards, Calvink
Message 12 of 20
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Your post spurred a lot of us into action! Thank you for sharing
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you had any luck on this matter?
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If in fact the sol is about to pass I hope your not waking a sleeping bear by reaching out to the landlord and there attorney.Even if you did pay it the fact you can't prove it they could possibly try to extort more money from you.Unfortunately there's a ridiculous amount of crooked,dishonest people out there.I really hope like hell everything works out for you after coming this far.
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The attorney was a no go because she was apparently only retained through the one court hearing for the judgment, not after the fact. She didn't have any more recent contact info than I did, so all she did was forward my email to the same probably now defunct email address they had ten years ago. 

The SOL will run on 8/17 and there's been no renewal filed... so I guess the question is will my lender be ok with closing on 8/24 as long as there's no renewal filed? Will the title policy be issued? I have no idea. But I know I can't prove I paid this debt so either the original creditor (married couple I'm having no luck contacting) needs to file a satisfaction of judgment or my lender needs to be ok with closing after the SOL runs. Or I'm screwed.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are there any title experts out there who can weigh in? If we are set to close on 8/24 and they find on 8/18 that the judgment wasn't renewed... are we good?

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm interested in this. How did it go?
Message 18 of 20
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Bump
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

So far, so good... I guess? My lender has my file in final underwriting and said it'll be out next week. I already know the best case is that it'll be approved with conditions (a few small collections they told me not to pay until closing), but no one has raised the judgement as an issue thus far. I'm guessing it's because the SOL runs out before our closing date but I'm not sure, really. The whole thing is nerve-wracking as hell. The appraisal was just ordered as well. Everyone is acting like everything is fine. I hope it is!

Just for fun, though, my ex-husband who has been paying child support for the last 8 years without any major issues decided to just not pay me last Friday when it was due. It's always something with this mortgage. He better pony up quick before they look at my next bank statements and freak out about that!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.