cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPINIONS WANTED: Should we lock in this rate?

tag
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

OPINIONS WANTED: Should we lock in this rate?

Hello all. We are currently mid-construction on our new home. Our FHA loan has already been approved, and we are scheduled to close on October 2. Our lender sent us an email today indicating that since we are within 90 days of closing, we are able to lock in (for free) our rate at 3.375% (4.413% APR). Obviously, this rate is incredible. But just a week ago, they were offering 3.625%, so we are seeing a rapid drop in rates like much of the rest of the country.

My question is, should I just lock in the rate now, or keep floating it and see where it goes? To me, it's unlikely to spike back up over the course of 90 days, so even if it were to go up, I don't think it would have a significant impact. Thus, it seems worth the risk to see if things continue to fall.

But this is just my layman's opinion, and I'd like some suggestions/opinions from those of you who have access to better data/knowledge than I have.

Much appreciated!

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Re: OPINIONS WANTED: Should we lock in this rate?

What is the APR?  Is this FHA or Conventional?  3.375 sounds great, but agian what is the apr?

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 3
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Re: OPINIONS WANTED: Should we lock in this rate?

You're exactly right, sorry about that. I have amended my original post. (FHA, APR 4.413%).

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.