Frequent Contributor
gamegrrl

Odd drop-off of lender inquiry

I hit a snag with the loan I was trying to get through a local bank, who we'll call Bank #1: The way they come up with a property valuation figure did not turn out in our favor. So while I'm considering that one, I got a call from Bank #2. He said he'd been thinking about our conversation (I'd not gone beyond the conversation stage with him) and he felt that they had a loan product that would be good for us. I told him about the low value that came back from Bank #1, and that it was a mere 1/3 of our property tax value.

Bank #2 guy said that their valuation model typically comes in within a thousand or two of tax value, so I gave him my info over the phone right then. It was late Friday afternoon, and he said I'd hear back from him on Monday.

Now for the odd part: The inquiry from Bank #2 showed up on the credit reports I monitor right away. I expected that. What I didn't expect was to get a "there's been a change on your credit report" email last night showing that the inquiry from Bank #2 was subsequently deleted. Right after it was put on the report.

I figure it has to be one of two things, and I'd like any input you can offer:

1. It was removed because I am obviously shopping for a mortgage product
  2. It was removed because Bank #2 guy didn't like my credit report or the property valuation came back really low and he felt sorry for me and removed it
When I spoke with Bank #2 guy on the phone, I did mention to him that my only hesitation in applying was the potential ding to my scores, as it has been three weeks since I applied with any other lenders. Maybe it was just a kind gesture?

Starting Score: EQ 607 TU 693
Current Score: EX via Mortgage Lender 747 - EQ myFICO 774 - TU08 (Walmart and Discover) 732 - TU myFICO 722
Goal Score: 800+ across the board!
Established Contributor
cdtotten

Re: Odd drop-off of lender inquiry

That is a pretty strange occurrance. It is extremely rare for a lender to remove a hard inquiry - potentially he re-coded it to a soft (but even that is rare). Although all inquiries within a certain period of time are scored as 1 for mortgage shopping, the inquiries still remain on your report and count towards your total.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
gamegrrl

Re: Odd drop-off of lender inquiry

That's what I thought. I'll ask him about it when I talk to him today and will update here.

Starting Score: EQ 607 TU 693
Current Score: EX via Mortgage Lender 747 - EQ myFICO 774 - TU08 (Walmart and Discover) 732 - TU myFICO 722
Goal Score: 800+ across the board!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+