Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Of course this would happen!

tag
ashjt2011
Regular Contributor

Of course this would happen!

So I am down to just a few weeks before I planned on submitting my mortgage application (December 17th). I have fixed everything that needed to be fixed with collections and such and our middle scores are now hovering around 670. We are going with FHA. Everything is in perfect order for applying.

Until today... I recieved a letter from the IRS stating that my 2013 tax returns were incorrect in many ways having to do with school. I have the forms 1098-T and can track down my student interest forms to dispute this, which should bring the amount I owe down from 4k down to just a few hundred dollars which I can just pay on the spot. 

I have until December 2nd to get them the dispute documents and then it will take a few weeks for them to research and recorrect the stuff. How is this going to effect me on my mortgage application? Is the lender going to see that I recieved this letter and that I supposidly owe the IRS 4k?

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING! UGHHH!!!! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Of course this would happen!

ugh!!! Im so sorry thats happening!! I hope someone with more experience with this will chime in. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The lender can't see the IRS letter but if they make you fill out a disclosure of liabilities you will need to list it. Not sure what your letter is about but if it's due to an education credit they want proof of what you paid and that it is higher then any grants/scholarships that you received. If you claimed a credit and tuition/books were fully covered by grants, scholarships, GI Bill, or other tuition assistance you would not be eligible for a credit.

Most letters are request for more information and if you submit what they need it will take care if it. If you have an H&R Block near you they can do a second look at your return for accuracy.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you receive the CP2000 it doesn't automatically put a bal due on your account. The letter needs to be answered. Once it is determined what the amount that is actually owed then you it will go on your account.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

When is rains it pours.   Sunny days after it all passes.  Good luck!

Message 5 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Respond to the IRS letter and get the matter settled before applying for a mortgage.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

mortgage people cant see anything to do with the IRS unless its on your credit report or they have a lien against you.

Message 7 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

mortgage people cant see anything to do with the IRS unless its on your credit report or they have a lien against you.

Really? What about tax returns and transcripts? Just curious, what is the basis of your bold statement?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.