Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok to go for pre-approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok to go for pre-approval?

I started cleaning up my credit and building my husband's credit a few years ago.  Now that I've finally finished grad shcool, we'd like to buy a house.  Neither of us have purchased a home before. 

I'd like advice on whether or not we're good candidates to go for pre-approval with an FHA loan.  It isn't that we're in a rush to buy this instant but if you guys say we could probably qualify now then I'll feel comfortable pre-approving whenever the time comes.  Since I'll continue to pay on time and pay down debt, I don't expect to be any worse off later than I am now.  I'm not concerned about our ability to make monthly payments on a mortgage of $180k or so.  I'm just wondering if our credit is in good enough shape to qualify yet.

My debt-to-income ratio is at 19% without current rent and 27% with.  It would be 33% with a new mortgage of $1300 or 36% with a payment of $1600.  (I just grabbed two possible payment amounts out of the air for that lol)  I wasn't sure if DTI includes current rent or expected mortgage so I ran it both ways.  Our combined gross income is $115k.

Last time I checked my husband's sores, he was in the 730 area on all three.  (Mainly because he had no credit when we married so I've ended up carrying most of the debt while carefully building his credit.)

My fico scores as of today are:  TU 686    EQ 660   EX 657  My history is 12 years with no late payments or bad hits in 2 years.  I have no BK or anything more serious than a total of 7 late payments that range from 2 years old to 9 years old.  My overall CC Utilization is too high (67%) but I plan to drop it down to 40% next week. I know that's still high so I plan to work on getting it down to 9%.  My other problem is that all of my student loans have entred repayment.  (LOL, good times!)   I don't have it right in front of me but I'd estimate my total SL to be approaching $60k.

Message Edited for an obscene amount of typos by mcdonee on 02-10-2009 12:48 PM
Message Edited by mcdonee on 02-10-2009 12:51 PM
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Ok to go for pre-approval?

you are a very good candidate.

current rent will be excluded from dti

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rather new to this myself but your scores are definitely ok for FHA. We've been told they look for a clean history for 12 months, so the late 9 months ago might hurt. How late is late? They told us they sometimes overlook one 30 day late but we don't have any lates at all so i didn't think to ask more about that. I hope it works out for you! Maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to help you out here, i've also found searching the forums helpful Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The most recent late payment was 30 days late and that was a little over 2 years ago.  I can see where one 9 months ago might impact things though.
Message 3 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

you are a very good candidate.

current rent will be excluded from dti

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, sorry i read that as "2 years to 9 months" instead of 9 years. My apologies lol

Good luck!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input.  LOL, you just made my day Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.