Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Debt off Credit Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Debt off Credit Report

Just trying to gather as much information as possible before I apply for a mortgage. I'm targeting July 2017 as that is when my rental lease will expire and it gives me plenty of time to clean up the damage i've done to my credit. I've read on her some conflicting information and was hoping for some clarity. I have some old chargeoffs due to falloff in January 2017. They are currently past SOL for my state. 

My question is - if the debt is no longer on your report, then how else can they verify that old unpaid debt? I've read on here that sometimes that stuff pops up if it's unpaid even if it's not on your credit report, but I'm not quite sure how?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old Debt off Credit Report

Opt out on your CBR's  three to four months prior to applying for a mortgage. There's a great chance this will reduce anything popping up again. We all know debt collectors are willing to break the law to collect a debt; removing their access to review your reports will hamper their ability to mess with the mortgage process.

Someone with additional knowledge may be able to provide more info.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old Debt off Credit Report

I've not reviewed posts where others have been denied mortgages for debts not listed on their CBR unless related to child support, alimony or tax.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.