Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old collection accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old collection accounts

@StartingOver10 wrote:

There are two schools of thought on paying charge offs before making a mortgage application:

1) Pay it before you apply so you can negotiate a better deal with the CA. If you apply for a mortgage a mortgage inq will show on your report and the CA will be much less negotiable because they know you have to pay the charge off to close. BTW, you don't always have to pay. Depends on the lender and the size of the charge off.

If you can negotiate a pfd before you apply that is the best thing to do (if possible) Then the charge off is paid and not showing on your report.

2) Wait to see what the underwriter says about it.  You may not have to pay it at all.

Have you thought about just meeting with the mortgage person and showing him your reports and scores and finding out what their lender overlays are? That might be the best first step, that way you can wait to apply if they for sure need the CA paid off. That will give you time to negotiate without a lender pull on record. Lender pulls show up instantly -so there is no turning back (as far as the CA being able to see the inq) once you have had the lender check your credit.

+1. 

This is directly from the HUD FHA guidelines:

4155.1 4.C.2.e Paying off Collections and Judgments FHA does not require that collection accounts be paid off as a condition of mortgage approval. However, court-ordered judgments must be paid off before the mortgage loan is eligible for FHA insurance endorsement.

But, also see 2013 Mortgagee Letter: 4155.1 4.C.2.e Capacity Analysis of Collections and Judgments Collections - FHA does not require collection accounts to be paid off as a condition of mortgage approval. However, FHA does recognize that collection efforts by the creditor for unpaid collections could affect the borrower’s ability to repay the mortgage. To mitigate this risk, FHA is requiring a capacity analysis of collection accounts with an aggregate balance equal to or greater than $2,000, as described below. If the total outstanding balance of all collection accounts for all borrowers is equal to or greater than $2,000, the lender must perform a capacity analysis as detailed below. Unless excluded under state law, collection accounts of a non-purchasing spouse in a community property state are included in the cumulative balance. All medical collections and charge off accounts are excluded from this guidance and do not require resolution. Capacity analysis includes any of the following actions:

1. At the time of or prior to closing, payment in full of the collection account (verification of acceptable source of funds required).

2. The borrower makes payment arrangements with the creditor. If the borrower has entered into a payment arrangement with the creditor, a credit report or letter from the creditor verifying the monthly payment is required. The monthly payment must be included in the borrower’s debt-to-income ratio.

3. If evidence of a payment arrangement is not available, the lender must calculate the monthly payment using 5% of the outstanding balance of each collection, and include the monthly payment in the borrower’s debt-to-income ratio.

I would ask your LO what they think is best for your situation. If your DTI would not be pushed over a threshold because of the 5% clause, and you do not want to pay the collections, you may be okay. In the end, it will most likely be up to you (and possibly your lender's overlays) whether you want to simply qualify for the mortgage or completely pay off the collections/charge-offs.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You For the Great information , We meet with LO this afternoon.....

Message 12 of 17
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

Good Luck Falcon!!

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You !!!

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

We met with our LO and he told us all dispute comments must be removed . We removed everything and It brought our middle low  score down to 622 from 646 . He said we Qualify and also said we have the option of paying off our 4 old accounts in collection now or we can wait but still need to pay them off eventually. We are thinking we should wait and pay them after he submits the application. We want to see what the lenders conditions are . The collection accounts add up to 3K in total , so its not a big deal either way. My wife and I are looking for advice as we do not want to make a mistake at this point......

Thank You

Falcon and Mrs. Falcon.....

Message 15 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

We met with our LO and he told us all dispute comments must be removed . We removed everything and It brought our middle low  score down to 622 from 646 . He said we Qualify and also said we have the option of paying off our 4 old accounts in collection now or we can wait but still need to pay them off eventually. We are thinking we should wait and pay them after he submits the application. We want to see what the lenders conditions are . The collection accounts add up to 3K in total , so its not a big deal either way. My wife and I are looking for advice as we do not want to make a mistake at this point......

Thank You

Falcon and Mrs. Falcon.....

Paying a collection straight doesn't help you credit score wise on a mortgage pull, and it can actually damage your score based on the way it updates unless you can get it deleted outright.

I would see if you can get what we label as a Pay For Delete (PFD) on them while you're working through this and I would start on that ASAP since you can afford to; however, in terms of simply writing a check, if you qualify now based on your score, just keep pushing through.  Beyond that, find out when exactly it has to be paid from your LO and even how it would be verified (cancelled checks / bank statements / or credit report pull), if it's anything but that last one, I'd wait as long as possible and I agree with him on not paying them until after the application is made.

        
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you , we will have him submit the app as is and go from there....

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.