Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On old girlfriends mortgage loan

tag
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: On old girlfriends mortgage loan

I'm not going to tell you what you may have or may have NOT done right/wrong. My answers are based on helping without judging.

The above advice regarding trying to work with the bank to protect your credit is the best I have seen in this thread.
You may want to contact a real estate attorney regarding your rights and interests. If she is 60 days late, then you may need to take over.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Retired Lender
Message 11 of 20
MattH
Senior Contributor

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:
I'm not going to tell you what you may have or may have NOT done right/wrong. My answers are based on helping without judging.
The above advice regarding trying to work with the bank to protect your credit is the best I have seen in this thread.
You may want to contact a real estate attorney regarding your rights and interests. If she is 60 days late, then you may need to take over.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I agree the OP should call a lawyer ASAP. Even if the former GF has no other assets,
isn't there a HOUSE involved? Maybe a lawyer can devise a way by which the OP can
compel his former GF to sell the house and use the proceeds to pay off the loan or
something, I dunno.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

No one is giving you an action plan. Here is one.

First of all, are you on the deed?  If so, then send her a cerified letter that it is your intention to place the home up for sale due to her poor payment history. If you are not on the deed, then you need to send her a certified letter notifying her of your intent to persue legal action if she can not refinanace the home or get caught up on the payments. The obvious solution would be for her to refiance, but with a 60 day on her CR's, limited money available to loan and the strong possibility that the home value has decreased, this will not be easy.  You must put pressure on her to resolve this or you will have an ongoing 7 year credit infection that will follow you all the way down to the 500's, including a potential foreclosure.  Good luck.  

Message 13 of 20
Ariel
Valued Member

Post is almost a year old - no doubt resolved by now.

Message 14 of 20
alicias
Established Member

This thread was linked on FICO's February email newsletter, giving it new life, and the subject is probably still relevant to some considering a home purchase with their S/O.  I like the professor's above action plan.  Seems like sound advice.
Message 15 of 20
Sk8lyn23
Established Member

I agree that this thread is still very helpful. I am currently looking to purchase a home/condo possibly with my boyfriend. I am not sure what the proper actions would be to make sure that this never happens to me. My boyfriend suggested that we get a noterized statement saying that debt and ownership is 50/50. That seems to cover the issues of being left to pay the debt on our own, or being left with nothing after helping pay it off, or at least that is what I am hoping it would do. Basically, what I am currious about is what steps can i take now to prevent the above situation? Will a noterized statement of equal ownership really help our situation? We both really want to purchase a place to call our own, but are not ready for marriage. I would love to purchase on my own, but I'm not sure if I would qualify by myself. Any imput would be helpful. =)
07/28/09 Equifax -737
01/31/09 Equifax- 695
01/10/09
Equifax-673
Experian-686
TransUnion-684
Message 16 of 20
Ariel
Valued Member

The statement won't help you at all... heck, creditors don't even care about a divorce decree.  It's a bad idea, as suggested by almost everyone who posted in this thread.

Message 17 of 20
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Thanks alicias for pointing that out, makes much more sense now.

@Sk8lyn23 wrote:
I agree that this thread is still very helpful. I am currently looking to purchase a home/condo possibly with my boyfriend. I am not sure what the proper actions would be to make sure that this never happens to me. My boyfriend suggested that we get a noterized statement saying that debt and ownership is 50/50. That seems to cover the issues of being left to pay the debt on our own, or being left with nothing after helping pay it off, or at least that is what I am hoping it would do. Basically, what I am currious about is what steps can i take now to prevent the above situation? Will a noterized statement of equal ownership really help our situation? We both really want to purchase a place to call our own, but are not ready for marriage. I would love to purchase on my own, but I'm not sure if I would qualify by myself. Any imput would be helpful. =)

Sk8lyn, the OP's situation is that they co-signed on a mortgage together and one didn't realize a mortgage they were on was past due.  It sounds like you are asking about something else, which I'll touch on in a moment, but the easy way to rectify that situation, assuming you are together, is before you buy, set up a budget so you know what you can comfortably afford for your lifestyle & plans, then set up payment reminders before the mortgage is due.  Even though I don't have any blemishes on my credit I was pretty bad at making my payments on time, usually making it a day or two before it went 30 days late, and then I went ahead and set up reminders on all of my payments (house, car, credit cards, and utility bills even) and I feel much more comfortable about my finances.

Now if you are no longer together and have gone your own ways, with the other person living in the home with a mortgage that you co-signed on it, you have two choices.  You can either try to have the person who is remaining in the home refinance it solely in their name (which assumes they'd be able to qualify, not something that should be assumed in today's lending environment) or a novation, or novation agreement, but it is up to the lender if they will agree for that to happen.  A novation agreement essentially states you agree to take the place of another party in a contract/mortgage.  They go hand in hand when someone assumes a mortgage, so usually the requirements for a novation is for the remaining person to still be able to qualify for the mortgage on their own.

If you are separated, not in the home, are still on the co-signed mortgage, and it goes late... I don't believe there is any document that could be signed between you and your boyfriend that would relieve you from having the late payments being reported to your credit.  That document would be a good start if you ever had to go to court against your boyfriend (guess he'd then be your ex-boyfriend).

Edited to add: as far as you qualifying on your own, it'd be best to start a new thread on that so we can stick to the topic in this one.

Message Edited by ShanetheMortgageMan on 02-03-2009 10:32 AM
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with you on that one!!!
Message 19 of 20
Sk8lyn23
Established Member

Thanks for the helpful input Shane. I do have another thread for advice on qualifying by myself, and I wasn't meaning to ask any questions about it in this thread. Your info on the options available if we did seperate was exactly what i was looking for. Thanks =)
Message Edited by Sk8lyn23 on 02-14-2009 03:08 PM
07/28/09 Equifax -737
01/31/09 Equifax- 695
01/10/09
Equifax-673
Experian-686
TransUnion-684
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.