Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On old girlfriends mortgage loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

On old girlfriends mortgage loan

Hi, my problem is I'm on an old girlfriends mortgage loan and I got a email alert this morning that my FICO score has dropped by 73 points.  The girlfriend is atleast 60 days arear on the mortgage payments.  What do I have to do to get my name off the loan?  Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Randy
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: On old girlfriends mortgage loan

If you cosigned...you can't get off...did you watch this past Saturdays episode of Suze Orman...all about cosigners...
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't see it and your answer was what I expected.  I was hoping there'd be somethin I could do...

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask the ex-GF to try to refi with someone else as co-signer (not you).
Message 4 of 20
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I didn't see it and your answer was what I expected. I was hoping there'd be somethin I could do...

There is something you can do: pay up to protect your credit, then sue your old GF!
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I didn't see it and your answer was what I expected. I was hoping there'd be somethin I could do...

There is something you can do: pay up to protect your credit, then sue your old GF!

If she doesn't have the money to pay the mortgage, it's unlikely she'd have money to pay a judgment. Assuming that you win.
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you come out of pocket and pay...you should try and GW (goodwill) the mortgage company and see if they will remove that late payments...depending on the mortgage company they will agree to remove them...look at the General Credit Issues forum for a sample GW letter...
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to be rude but why exactly did you co-sign a home loan for a girlfriend?
Message 8 of 20
sunrise
Frequent Contributor

If you are a co-signer.....I'd request that copies of everything (including statements) be sent to you as well as the old GF.

unfortunately, you may have to catch up the payments to stop the fico decline.  I'd call the lender and explain the situation and ask them to remove the lates, if you catch up on the payments. (Good Will)  Then request that you be put on all further correspondences with them from now on.

Good Luck!
takin' it one day at a time
Message 9 of 20
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Not to be rude but why exactly did you co-sign a home loan for a girlfriend?

As Dave Ramsey has said MANY times on the air, "Never buy a home with somebody who is not married to you!" I don't entirely agree, but I would say, an unmarried couple who are buying together must each hire an individual lawyer who works only for that partner to advise on how to protect their individual interests, a lawyer who works for both cannot do that nearly as well as can a lawyer who works entirely for one person. Aside from the risk of the couple breaking up, what if somebody dies or has a major illness or something? A married couple still faces various risks, but at least there are certain legal and social mechanisms available to married folks that singles don't get. Yes, two lawyers will mean two fees, but failure to have two lawyers can easily end up costing much more.

My friends in same-sex partnerships do face an extremely difficult situation that my wife and I don't, a fact that Suze Orman has bemoaned because she has a female partner. A few states offer civil unions, which help, but those unfortunately do nothing on the Federal level. Maybe the next president can work with Congress to rectify this injustice.

Message Edited by MattH on 04-24-2008 05:23 AM

Message Edited by MattH on 04-24-2008 05:26 AM
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.