cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One spouse short saled--how will it affect new loan app?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

One spouse short saled--how will it affect new loan app?

Hi there.  My husband short-saled a house in Arizona (our primary residence) 10 months ago. Arizona is an anti-deficiency states so we owe no deficiency.  It was a "walk-away" situation because we had to move for hub's job.  We are lucky he bought it before we got married, and my name is not on the note.  We were late on the 1st and 2d the entire 6 months we negotiated the short sale.  His credit was over 800 and fell into the 600's but is now 725!  We are shocked.  My credit score is 796.  Our gross income is 220K per year, and our only debt are two rental properties that are rented and we don't lose $$.  We are both disabled veterans, and I want to apply for a new mortgage with VA, but we need his income to qualify.  If we both apply, will they consider his short sale even though we are using my VA loan, not his?  I am worried we will be rejected, even with high income and credit scores.  I am also wondering how his credit score could have rebounded so quickly.  

Thanks for any info you can offer on our situation.

Seanmom

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One spouse short saled--how will it affect new loan app?

He has to be on the loan to use his income.  No way around it.  Also, most banks will want some sort of waiting period post short sale for another loan.  Not sure on VA though.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One spouse short saled--how will it affect new loan app?

Was the loan that was a short sale a VA loan as well?  Not sure, but that could be a serious issue.  Often times when you default with a loan program in any way, you are ineligible for that program from then on.   Not sure if that is how it works in this case at all though.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.