Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Mortgage Calculator vs. A Lender

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Online Mortgage Calculator vs. A Lender

So, I have been entering in my actual numbers in the online Mortgage Calculator to see how much I will quailify for...when I punched in my numbers, it always says I can't afford anything, my debt to income is 38%.  I am working with a Lender, and he says everything looks fine.  Why on earth are these How Much You can afford calculators saying I can't afford anything!? So confused ...

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Re: Online Mortgage Calculator vs. A Lender

The calculators are very conservative... they say 38% but a lender will typically go up to 41-43%. 38% Debt to income is considered very good really.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, good to know.  I just paid off a couple of credit cards, and got it down to 36% ... So, this is considered good?

Message 3 of 12
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Does the 36% include the estimated future mortgage payment? If so, yes 36% is pretty good.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 4 of 12
madmann26
Valued Contributor

How are you figuring your DTI?

Things like lights, water, cell phone, internet, tvsat do not count toward DTI.

Things like rent, credit card monthly payments (what you're supposed to pay, not what you end up paying), car payments DO count toward your DTI.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 5 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@madmann26 wrote:

Things like rent, credit card monthly payments (what you're supposed to pay, not what you end up paying), car payments DO count toward your DTI.

Not rent. The loan officer will use the total new housing payment (on the new purchase) to figure out his front end ratio and then add the other debt (installment loans and credit card min payments) to figure out the total DTI.

The new housing payment consists of:  principal, interest, real estate taxes, homeowners insurance, mortgage insurance (when applicable), HOA or condo fees (if applicable). It does not include utilites or cell phone bills, or other similar items.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So in other words they don't care if they cut your lights off, or  gotta eat parched peanuts for supper. Man LOL

Message 7 of 12
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@madmann26 wrote:

Things like rent (OR mortgage), credit card monthly payments (what you're supposed to pay, not what you end up paying), car payments DO count toward your DTI.

Not rent. The loan officer will use the total new housing payment (on the new purchase) to figure out his front end ratio and then add the other debt (installment loans and credit card min payments) to figure out the total DTI.

The new housing payment consists of:  principal, interest, real estate taxes, homeowners insurance, mortgage insurance (when applicable), HOA or condo fees (if applicable). It does not include utilites or cell phone bills, or other similar items.

FIXED!

(that's what I meant, just didn't clarify)

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 8 of 12
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Rent should not count towards DTI in any circumstance. Only your new primary housing payment is considered, along with any other mortgage payments on any other properties you may own. Even if you are renting a second apartment, this should not count towards DTI.

Message 9 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

one's ability to pay ancillary items like electric/water/ect are considered when applying the 43%ish rules.

Retired Lender
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.