cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open CU account mid-mortgage app? Bad idea?

tag
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Open CU account mid-mortgage app? Bad idea?

I qualify for NFCU and would like to open an account with them, but I'm still in the midst of my mortgage app.  I don't necessarily want new credit right now, just to position myself for when I do post-closing.  Is this a bad idea?

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Open CU account mid-mortgage app? Bad idea?

@thankfulheart wrote:

I qualify for NFCU and would like to open an account with them, but I'm still in the midst of my mortgage app.  I don't necessarily want new credit right now, just to position myself for when I do post-closing.  Is this a bad idea?

you will sign something at closing talking about any new credit not on the application/credit report.

say yes = deal goes back to underwriting
say no = fraud.

this WILL hold up the deal as the credit report would have to be updated.

if your scores can handle it and your loan officer is willing to do the work.... it may not hurt.

but i would tell my client NO regardless. just not worth the risk

you will be getting a lot of credit card offers after the mortgage records at the courthouse.

be patient

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 4
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

It will be a new inquiry on your credit report, whether you apply for credit or not.  You should ask your LO about it, but since you can just as easily apply for membership with a credit union after your mortgage application process is over, why not just wait?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 4
FrugalRican
Blogger

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

@thankfulheart wrote:

say yes = deal goes back to underwriting
say no = fraud.

this WILL hold up the deal as the credit report would have to be updated.

+1

I'd much rather wait til after closing/funding/keys.

I wouldn't want to do anything that would jeopardize/prolong the mortgage process agony.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.