cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions please...(Quicken, US Bank-streamline)

tag
ThunderCat33
Established Member

Opinions please...(Quicken, US Bank-streamline)

WE bought our house back in 2004, so we qualify for an FHA streamline refinance loan.  The positive of doing a streamline is that you bring no money to the closing table except a few hundred dollars to fund a new escrow.  The downside is that you don't get the absolute lowest rates.  We have a 5 year plan in place to sell and buy a new house.  The money we will save from refinancing will be put in to a savings to help fund the down payment on the new house.

I got an offer from Quicken loans where they will give me a $2600 lender credit  and $500 to help fund the new escrow account.  Our rate will drop from 5.250 to 4.00.  It will save us right around $100-$120 a month and take the loan back out to 30 years. They estimate that I will have to bring $1300 to the table to fund the new escrow...however , we will skip a monthly payment and also get back the $600 we currently have in our escrow account with US bank which will cover the $1300.

Our current mortgage is with US Bank. I called them after shopping around and they came up with about the same offer as Quicken.  4%-30yr-3.25pts(lender credits)-skipped payment.  The difference is...they cannot refund the amount we currently have in escrow.  They would apply that to the payoff amount of the loan.    

My question is...if I go back to Quicken and tell them that US Bank is matching their offer will they be able to add/drop anything to compete and get the loan or should I just stay with US bank ?  I'm not sure how that works.  WIll mortgage companies compete like car dealers to get your business?

Thanx in advance for any advice...I know this was a bit long winded. Smiley Happy

Credit Rookie..taking control
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ThunderCat33
Established Member

Re: Opinions please...(Quicken, US Bank-streamline)

Bump. Any opinions on quicken vs us bank??
Message 2 of 4
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Little different idea....

Refi to 15 years with a CU.

Then if the market has picked up in 5 years and you still want to move. Sell the house and use the money from the sale as a downpayment on the next home.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 4
ThunderCat33
Established Member

That strategy would work if I could predict the market in 5 years. I don't wanna rely solely on the sale of the current house to fund the next. Id rather have that as Extra Money if the market recovers and we make a profit. Plus. I don't wanna blow 2-5 Grand on closing costs right now or lose equity by rolling then into the loan.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.