Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for selling old house to build new

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Options for selling old house to build new

Background- My wife and I have been empty nesters last 15 years (married young), and have lived in our present home for 36 years, the mortgage was paid off long ago.  We are in our mid 50s.  I retired from the fire dept. 9 years ago with a lucrative state pension, and 2 years ago took a part time job with the federal govt.  My wife has worked for the local water board for 32 years, and is eligible to retire anytime she wants also with a state pension.  We become social security eligible in a few years, and can add those checks to our state pensions.  Other words we both have guranteed incomes the rest of our lives.  Not rich by any means, but we have a good living.  We have been happily married 38 years, and have always had each others back.  I couldn't tell ya the last time we even had a minor fuss.

This house buying thing is all new to me.  It was much different than 1976.  We bought this house new, and signed the papers in the law office in 15 minutes with the builder.  I had no where near the rectal exam I'm under right now while going through this process.  Something comes in almost everyday from the lender.  My wife is stressed out about all this, it wasn't really something she thought about, moving that is.  We had to send in W2s, pay stubs, paperwork on our previous mortgage, we had a 25 dollar collection from the eye doctor 4 years ago they quizzed us about.  I just forgot, throwing away the mail from them with the junk mail.  

"You have a 8 year gap in employment, what were ya doing?"

"I was riding my motorcycles"

"How did you pay your bills"

"With my state pension, and my wife is still workin"

"What did she say about that?"

"I dunno, you'll hafta to ask HER, but I reckon she didn't mind, she's still here"  LOL

Never seen anything like this process.  I told my wife its just the times we live in post bust wise, and the lady handling the loan is just doing her job.

Our neighborhood has seen a steep decline the last 8 years or so, otherwise we stay here.  We love this house, have been here since we were kids, but its time to make a move.  We have been approved for 250k mortgage, on new build.  That buys a ALOT of house in this part of the country.  The home will 2100 sq ft., located in a gated community, our lot backs up to a PGA golf course.  Alot of the money is in the lot.  The lot is small, so not much grass to cut, or raking to do.  Been there done that, and want  no more yard work.  This new house nicer than we'd ever thought we'd own.

But I digress.  Because I have a guranteed check every month, and now a part time fed job (next thing to a guranteed check) not saved much money.  I'll be honest, we spend way too much every month, cause I know next month I get a another check.  No more, no less, its gonna be there with a defined amount, I don't hafta to worry about the well running dry, and I never thought I'd buy another house, so didn't think about having big savings account.

My question is this- I might have a problem selling this house, and with no money for a downpayment, I'm thinkin I can float a note on some of the equity I have.  The realtor put the value of my current home at 120k, and we're on the books asking 110.  If I can't sell in the 6 month build phase and the new home is finished, will this option work?  Y'all see any negatives goin this route?  I have the income to pay the equity line and new mortgage without a problem.  I'm looking at 30k to get in the new house, payment would run about 200 a month?  I spend that for lunch each month.  Taxes and insurance on the old home about 1200 a YEAR, so thats not a issue either.  I live in a low tax state.

I've not run this by the lender yet, so I don't know. I'm sure it will have some kind of effect on the new mortgage process and in fact may not be doable. They are gonna break ground on the new house soon, and I told the them, "look here, not sold this house yet," and they said, "don't worry about that."  They are a huge company with very deep pockets.  Option 2, they buy my house and I can get in the new one.  I understand they will low ball it, but that also might the best I can do from a guy off the street also.  In 3 weeks I've had 2 guys look at it, so I might get low balled from everyone.  My house is in good structual shape but needs updating, but that's another thread.

My house is worth more now than it will be in 5 years, thats a given, but I can do option one indefinately and wait for a better offer.  But 2 years of double might cancel out any plus money from holding out for a better offer.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Options for selling old house to build new

i have two comments to make:\

1) The idea of your holding a mortgage on your current home for the new buyer is an excellent one. You will get a much better return on your money if you do hold  a note. You will need an attorney to craft the note and mortgage. This is usually done with the title company the closes the sale. Usually your home is worth more if you offer terms on it, not less. This opens up your market for selling too. You want to make sure the buyer has put down enough funds that they are tied in to the deal - think in terms at least 10% or more of the purchase price.  The interest rate you command should be higher than the going rate with the banks - after all, it is private funding. The actual rate will depend upon what is acceptable to you based on the risk of the borrower/buyer. Talk to someone that is well versed in doing these purchase money mortgages.

2) Your LO does have a checklist for your new mortgage. However, given the conversation you had with her it sounds like she isn't in this business very long. There are many people in your position (and a lot that would love to be in your position). The idea is to check your income - which you have. Not everyone's income is tied to a current job. Like you they have pensions and/or investments and other sources of income. A seasoned LO would be comfortable with it. Have you shopped your lender at all? If it is the builders lender, I strongly suggest getting at least one more quote with a lender not affliated with the builder.

PS It sounds like you have everything going in the right direction. Congratulations on your new plan Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 16
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My question is this- I might have a problem selling this house, and with no money for a downpayment, I'm thinkin I can float a note on some of the equity I have.  The realtor put the value of my current home at 120k, and we're on the books asking 110.  If I can't sell in the 6 month build phase and the new home is finished, will this option work?  Y'all see any negatives goin this route?  I have the income to pay the equity line and new mortgage without a problem.  I'm looking at 30k to get in the new house, payment would run about 200 a month?  I spend that for lunch each month.  Taxes and insurance on the old home about 1200 a YEAR, so thats not a issue either.  I live in a low tax state.

I've not run this by the lender yet, so I don't know. I'm sure it will have some kind of effect on the new mortgage process and in fact may not be doable.

Taking out a loan on the equity in your current house for the downpayment on the new one? Entirely doable.

Just so long as you've run the numbers on DTI and made sure it's both within the lender's DTI guidelines and your own comfort level (for however long a "worst-case" timeline for selling the old house could run).

We did exactly that a few months ago - had 90+% equity on current house, took out a HELOC for about 50% of that, and used that for the downpayment on the new place, as well as closing costs and repairs/painting on the old place.  Worked just fine.  When the old place sells, it'll pay off the HELOC and almost all of the new house loan.

We did use the same loan officer for both loans, and discussed the entire process with her before opening the first loan.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that reply.  So y'all made enough on the sale to pay the loan on the new home?  

I'm not sure I understand option 1 in the first reply.  Help.

Message 4 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Option 1 is seller financing. You set your own rate and your own terms that are acceptable to you based on the buyer. You want to have a general idea of what terms you will accept so discuss this with your Realtor and your attorney so you have a good understanding of what holding the mortgage means from a legal point of view and a marketing point of view.

You normally would get a higher sales price if you hold a mortgage. Also you would require more down payment from the buyer. There are many, many buyers with lots of cash to put a large down payment, but they can't qualify for a traditional mortgage due to some other event.  The interest rate you charge the buyer/borrower would be higher than the market rate because they can not get their own third party institutional type mortgage. Ultimately if you hold the mortgage on your current residence you end up with a nice monthly income for the term of the loan, then the buyer either thas to refinance to pay off the loan or negotiate for another term (typical is 3 to 5 years).

Call your Realtor for specific details. Call your attorney or the title company for specifics too.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been checking on this last few days, and here is where I'm at.

What are the pros and cons of this compared to renting it out?  

Message 6 of 16
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

OP...

you are in a wonderful position.  

selling vs renting...it all depends on if you want to become a landlord.  from a homebuying perspective, since you obviously have more than 30% equity in the house, you will be able to count a portion of the potential rental income in your DTI calculation.  This will be a benefit to you if you get the LOC as the income will offset the payment.  However, if your DTI is within the guidelines even with the LOC and without the rental income, it's a moot point.

If you turn it into a rental, you will have the added risks of the tenants damaging the house.  you will also basically be responsible for maintaining two homes.  Since your house is paid, and you will only have a small LOC to pay, you don't have a huge risk if the tenants don't pay the rent.  you also have to think about the yearly tax liability/benefit of having rental income.

if you sell the house, you only have to worry about the tax implications on the sale...and don't have to worry about any of the above mentioned risks.

We are in the process of building a new home.  We moved out of our current house and converted it into a rental property.  We are underwater on the house, and can't sell it at a loss.  So, we decided to take the risk and rent it out.  Although our tenant has been great...no issues so far...I don't like having this added responsibility and risk.  The upside to it all is that we can use a portion of the rental income to offset the mortgage payment.  It is wonderful for our DTI which is at 35%.

Good luck to you!

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that reply, most helpful.

Now I come before the collective with the following.  Thanks for y'all's patience, I've not bought a house in 37 years, so I'm basically a 1st time rookie.

My current home is on the market 1 month, a few shoppers but no offers.  They broke ground on my new house last week.  The new house is on a contingent.  The advised 6 months to build.  We went to the design studio few weeks ago, and the home being built is to our spec.  I put up 1000 in earnest money.

In a recent conversation with the lender I asked her, "look here, what is plan B if y'all are 1 month from completion, and I'm not able to close because not sold my current home?"  "Well we don't really have a plan B."  I kinda didn't like that response.  I understand we are at least 6 months out, and my file is bottom of stack right now, I'm sure she has more pressing stuff going on right now.  But I'd at least like for her to throw some ideas out there.

My credit is pretty good, but could be better, but we have a good steady income.  The numbers say I can well afford this new home, I just don't have much for a DP.

So help me out with the options,  I've spent hours here and other places educating myself, because I felt like I need to be proactive, even if the potential lender is not.  I understand I can always go to the bullpen and bring another lender in.  But this lady has done well so far, till the no plan B remark.  She has done alot of legwork on this, and got us this far, and since I'm old school, that means something to me. 

If I do a HELOC (or whatever y'all call it) on the current home I know it will have a impact on the new mortgage process.  If I understand correctly, they're gonna add that payment on the back end ratio?  The back end ratio = new house payment, equity payment, property taxes and insurance, car note, CC payments, and any other installment payments, but not medical insurance premiums, utilities, cell phone, cable tv etc?  

The income used is the gross monthly income.  I figured our's from our 1040 (gross yearly income / 12 months)  Is that correct protocol?  Using my numbers that came out .29

I see a couple of advantages on this route.  I can just hang out here till house is completed, and move all at once.  If anything happens for whatever reason with the closing I'm not in a panic.  Worse is they sell my new home to a guy off the street, but I'm not out any real money, and we go back to doing what we've been doing the last 37 years.  We like it here, and would be really sick if we sold our house and then the deal fell through leaving us in the wilderness.

We move into our new home and perhaps our old will sell now that it is empty, I dunno.  I can sustain the equity payment as long as needed.  If I go to the bullpen, is it possible to bring a guy in that can do the Heloc and new mortgage?  

Message 8 of 16
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

since you own your home outright, i don't think it matters if you sell it or not....i could be wrong though.  it seems to me that the reason for needing to sell your home is because of the risks that come with carrying two mortgages.

if you are 1 month from closing and you haven't sold your house (and you are required to sell it), just convert it to a rental.  since you will be moving into the new home, the new one will be considered your primary residence.  the other home will just be considered an asset.  

i would love to know why you need to sell your home to buy a new one when there's no mortgage on the current home.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Downpayment.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.