Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order of payment on collections to remove from CR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Order of payment on collections to remove from CR

Quick question. I have several medical collections on my CR. A few collections for old credit lines that are all 450+ on the balance. I also have 3 items on my CR that are also medical collections that amount to over 3k.

I am trying to repair my credit and pay off all my old debt. I am hoping to buy a house by the end of the year or rent the home for 6 months and then qualify.

What I am wondering is which order should I go. Would it look better to have several items removed from my CR or should I go for the larger debt and get those off first.

I am pretty new to repairing my credit and not sure which steps to take first.

TIA 
Alisha

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Order of payment on collections to remove from CR

This is definitely a question for your potential lender. A really good lender will tell you what you need to do before you are even pre qualified.

My first question is how old are your collections?
Im asking because some banks do not look at closed collections over 2 years.
Most likely you will have to pay off any open collections you have.
I have heard people say that medical accounts don't count but I have seen many people on this forum denied because of the medical bills.
I'm not sure what your income is,but you definitely need to pay down some of your revolvers. Having too much debt can effect your DTI ratio meaning the amount you borrow would be limited.
Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
This is definitely a question for your potential lender. A really good lender will tell you what you need to do before you are even pre qualified.

My first question is how old are your collections?
Im asking because some banks do not look at closed collections over 2 years.
Most likely you will have to pay off any open collections you have.
I have heard people say that medical accounts don't count but I have seen many people on this forum denied because of the medical bills.
I'm not sure what your income is,but you definitely need to pay down some of your revolvers. Having too much debt can effect your DTI ratio meaning the amount you borrow would be limited.

^^^That would be a lender overlay.  

Message 3 of 4
kjade1030

You need a copy of your credit report first.  Look at the reported date.  If an account is there as a collection but hasn't reported since say, March, DO NOT CALL THEM.  It will put you back on their radar.  They could start reporting you as in collections every month again and all of a sudden your fico just sufferered a collection hit from March until now.  It only drops your credit score when they report you month after month as owing money.  Medical collections are typically overlooked, but they are part of the big picture, so to say they are ignored is also inaccurate.  Ooooh, pro tip, if you have any medical collections with Universal, they will delete the collection all together if you send a separate check for $25 when you pay the account.  Crazy but I do it every time I see Universal as the collection agency on someone's credit.  If you want to let me know what you have and what dates they are from and the balances/if any payment is reporting, I'd be happy to tell you what to pay first ,and what to ignore.  good luck!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.