Did you mean: 

Our Journey to Home Ownership

tag
andemalia
Contributor

Re: Our Journey to Home Ownership

Movin_on_up, thnak you my friend!

Updating!!!

There have been a few exciting developments!!!

So I decided to summarize our journey in some sort of a chronologcial order so that you dont have to read all the way down or up (depending on your settings) to get the beginning of the story.

Before October 2014: Spoke with a lender, just to get a general idea of where we are and what we need, sent in some docs but were hesitant to pull the trigger. He didn't seem to really want to help us anyways. He said contact him back when we have some more money in the bank and when we are sure our credit score is better enough that we can justify a hard pull for him to see what it is. I know he was a right in a sense and would he have been more enthusiastic and more supportive, we would have felt more comfortable. I'm glad it turned out that way because we love our current lender!!! 

October 17: Opened this thread. Saw a sign on the road with a number, called, didnt like the guy, but he said he worked with someone else in a different office, a different lender, gave us the number, thats how we found our current lender. He is always always pleasant, answers quickly, explains thoroughly and is always excited about his job and about helping us.

We sent in all the docs.

October 22: Lender said we are preapproved for up to $225k. He called it prequalified though and I got so nervous but he said they used interchangeably so it’s actually a preapproval. We will be using a downpayment assistance program that our city offers for first time homebuyers that provides up to $20k for downpayment and closing costs for qualified applicants. Of course they have income restrictions. That limits our search area.

We toyed with the idea of MPDU, which is a first time homebuyer program that enters you in a lottery for a brand new construction (townhome) that you get for about half of its actual value. The price of the home is “controlled” by the city (as well as how much you can resell it if you decide to). Went to the seminars and send docs but its too much bureaucracy, its on the back burner.

October 25: Our scores by lender pull are Experian: 649   Equifax: 654   Transunion:= 666

Middle score 654, exactly what it says here on my fico. They used the 04 version.

November 05: Our preapproval amount was increased to $250k after realizing there was nothing around in a 30-40 mile radius what would be acceptable and pass FHA. 40 miles means over an hour, actually close to an hour and a half in traffic in our DC area. Meeting with a realtor for the first time. It was okay…

November 11: Met with another realtor who really convinced us to work with him instead. It’s a tough world for realtors out there. The first one was a young, timid, petite lady in her early twenties who seemed really nice but over the months (since we have not signed any agreement with her, we haven’t told her we are not using her, simply because she has not found us anything, she says things are slow and she will try after the holidays… felt bad at first but, she really isn’t trying). The new realtor is active, dynamic, always in touch, and doesn’t text us saying “hey”.

December 26: Things got kind of slow and we were started to get a little frustrated mainly because the inventory in our area is so low for our budget. And just when we were getting annoyed, our realtor insisted we pick a couple of homes to go see among the listings even if nothing seemed appealing. That was a great call. One of the homes we saw really grew on us and it is great value for the price. It’s an approved short sale, the bank already took ownership of the home but the sellers still live in there. They are very motivated offering 3%. The home is $265k.

December 28: Put in an offer for $255k, it wont go much lower because its already in the end stages of the short sale process but instead of the 3% we are asking them to reduce the sales price by a similar amount.

Good Faith Estimate put the total amount needed for settlement at $20,000.68. We would need to bring 68 cents to the table!!! We were also preparing earnest money of $1,000.

December 29: Just got word from the lender that we have no reserve requirements which got us soooo excited!!! Just waiting for to hear back about the offer.

Three issues we have identified:

The parking situation. It looks as though we might only have 1 parking spot assigned in front of the home which is a problem. There is also a faint cigarette smell in the home. It’s really faint but it’s there, we would need to find a way to get rid of it. Finally, the 2 full baths upstairs will need redone. The value of the home is $290k says Zillow/Redfin/Trulia… but of course its to take with a grain of salt.

01/15 EQ 663 TU 669 EX 674 09/14 EQ 653 TU 635 EX 651
10/13 EQ 579 TU 580 EX 598
BoA 1.5k I Cap1Sec 0.6k I Cap1 QS 6k I Synchrony 1k I Barclays 1k
- Goals - Refi car loan 24% to 15% 12/13
Buy a home spring 2015: in progress; Pay off car loan spring 2016 balance $6200
Message 11 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!! Thanks for the updates!!  Cant wait until Im that far along!!

Message 12 of 57
Lil_Me
New Contributor

Hello! I am so excited for you and your process. If you don't mind me asking what is the name and number of your lender. I am in the process as well and my story sounds about like yours the only thing is I live on the Eastern Shore of MD.

10/3/2020 TU: 619, EP: 627, EQ: 613

Discover It $2200, /images.ctfassets.net/vrxttq978is8/6wscgyGnZ3KkFiyrWOJrO4/a8326124891622c78192fa5afe137103/New_Project__1_.png?w=1133&h=1000&q=50 “ height=”40” width=”50”> Avant $500, Credit One $600, One $400, /helzberg.com/media/icons/platinum-credit-card-170x106-opt.jpg “ height=”40” width=”50”> Helzberg $1000, Ann Taylor $500, VS $150, /www.ulta.com/static/images/footer_cc.png “ height=”40” width=”50”> Ulta $400, Amazon Prime $100, Cap 1 $450, Navy Federal $200

Gardening Mode!!!!
Message 13 of 57
andemalia
Contributor

@Lil_Me wrote:

Hello! I am so excited for you and your process. If you don't mind me asking what is the name and number of your lender. I am in the process as well and my story sounds about like yours the only thing is I live on the Eastern Shore of MD.

Lil_Me,

We love our lender. He is a joy to work with!! I am not sure if I can post his info here though. I'll send you a PM if I can figure out how to do that. The mortgage company is Academy Mortgage based in Greenbelt. I'll send you his name and contact info by PM.

Message 14 of 57
andemalia
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!! Thanks for the updates!!  Cant wait until Im that far along!!

firsttimehomebuyer2015,

You will be that far along in no time if you are surrounded by the right players and make wise decisions putting your interest first. We can't believe we are that far along either and frankly, without going too much into our personal situation, if we can do it, so can you!! Read, research, ask, double-check, verify and you will be fine!!

Message 15 of 57
andemalia
Contributor

@andemalia wrote:

@Lil_Me wrote:

Lil_Me,

We love our lender. He is a joy to work with!! I am not sure if I can post his info here though. I'll send you a PM if I can figure out how to do that. The mortgage company is Academy Mortgage based in Greenbelt. I'll send you his name and contact info by PM.

I just PM'ed you his info!

Message 16 of 57
andemalia
Contributor

Hello All,

Our offer was accepted yesterday on the short sale and so we are getting it for $255k on a $265k list price. We haven't heard much more from our realtor as soon as we do, we should know more. On paper, we have 10 days to have an inspection done.

In meantime I contacted our city's department in charge of the assistance program, just to establish a line of contact with someone. The lady was really nice and took her time to asnwer my questions. We were able to reserve our assistance funds for the next 6 months. We are now progressively sending docs off the list she gave us, once she gets everything, she will submit it for approval and it should take one to 2 weeks to receive a conditional letter of approval which will be sent to our mortgage lender.

Simultaneously we will start sending documents for the actual mortgage application once we receive the list of docs we need. 

So next on our to-do list:

- Gather documents for mortgage application once we get the checklist on Monday, realtor will send ratified offer to lender

- Schedule general inspection and visual lead paint inspection (required by the city to give us the funds, the home was built in 1974)

- Mortgate lender credit score pull, reports from inspection, ratified offer and copy of purchase contract to be sent to the city; in addition they will need some docs from the Title company, then we should be good to go to approval for our assistance funds.

Our fears:

- Inspection reveals something that is too serious for us to handle. The seller doesnt have any money which is why they short-saling in the first place and the bank will not make any repairs, we are buying as in conditioned by inspection and appraisal

- FHA appraisal reveals the home's value lower (in that case we have to come up with the difference or ask the seller's bank to approve a lower price which might take forever if they agree at all) or higher (in which case the seller's bank who will want to mitigate their loss might ask us to pay a higher sales price backed up by appraisal); or the appraiser sees something that makes the home unsafe to live in according to FHA standards which can be litle stuff like doorknobs or light switches I have heard.

Also, we realized we have 2 parking spots in from of the home instead of the 1 we initially thought, so we are good that way. Still need to figure out what to do about the faint cigarette smell and research how we can do a cheap redo of the 2 bathrooms  (they are small) so that we can use for the next couple of years until we have enough money to truly remodel. 

I will keep you posted, friends!!

Message 17 of 57
andemalia
Contributor

Change of plans

Hello All,

So much has happened since I last posted. Although the owners of the property we had put an offer on had accepted the offer, the bank took some time to get back to us. In the meantime the loan was sold to another mortgage company and communication just was not happening. Since it's a short sale we decided to back out after the bank decided they were not going to accept less then $285k. 

We looked at condos instead since we just were not having any luck finding anything within or budget but then the condos were not FHA approved and the numbers just were not working as far a conventional loan when taking into account the condo fees and our credit.

After not finding anything and not wanting to wait any longer for fear of losing out on the market once people with fuller pockets tha us woke up halfway through the winter, we decided to expand our options to a neighboring county.

We looked at some homes, the put an offer on one then were outbid. Tired and annoyed we went looking at another round of houses and put a full price no conditions offer on a nice newer townhome that is move in ready in an ideal location.

Our offer was accepted on Tuesday and we have the inspection scheduled for this coming Monday... 

Type of loan: FHA loan, $265k at 3.5%

So here is a new timeline:

02/01/2015 : Put an offer

02/03: Offer verbally accepted... pending on Redfin YAY!!!

02/04: Offer ratified

02/09: Inspection scheduled

Message 18 of 57
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Change of plans

Congratulations! Sounds like you made the right move. Short sales are difficult now, at least here in S Florida. The banks are looking for more than market value on many of the short sale properties (that's crazy, right??)!

Getting the townhome that is move in ready sounds like an ideal solution!

Message 19 of 57
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Change of plans

congratulations!  all of the stresses and let downs makes finding the right house that much more exciting!!

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 20 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.