Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our USDA Direct timeline- closed on 108th day

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Our USDA Direct timeline - 2015

Okay, more info for those who may find themselves in my shoes one day. I wanted to confirm our potential appraiser is qualified, so I returned to the handbook (HB-1-3550 ch. 5) and found this: 

When using a contract appraiser, the Agency will contract with qualified appraisers that are active on the Appraisal Subcommittee website (www.asc.gov).

I went to the website, put in his info, hit enter, & held my breath. He's in there & active! Maybe this will work afterall!

appr.jpg

Message 21 of 91
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Almost there!

        
Message 22 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I had found out a month ago that the USDA will allow you to hire your own USDA-approved appraiser. If we wanted to wait for the USDA to schedule it, they would pay, but since the guy I found isn't on the list of appraisers this office uses, we have to hire him ourselves. But doesn't the USDA get that money back from us through closing costs anyway if they pay for the appraisal? What's the point of making us wait for an entire month going BONKERS?! 

We're 5 months into this process & I was also just told today that there is one man in the entire state of Virginia that can sign off on closing homes. They don't know how busy he is, so we have to wait & see what he says about a closing date after the appraisal, I guess. The good news is the sellers are fantastic people & were planning to live with in-laws until moving into their new construction at the end of June, so at least they'll be benefitting from this delay. =D

Message 23 of 91
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish I had found out a month ago that the USDA will allow you to hire your own USDA-approved appraiser. If we wanted to wait for the USDA to schedule it, they would pay, but since the guy I found isn't on the list of appraisers this office uses, we have to hire him ourselves. But doesn't the USDA get that money back from us through closing costs anyway if they pay for the appraisal? What's the point of making us wait for an entire month going BONKERS?! 

We're 5 months into this process & I was also just told today that there is one man in the entire state of Virginia that can sign off on closing homes. They don't know how busy he is, so we have to wait & see what he says about a closing date after the appraisal, I guess. The good news is the sellers are fantastic people & were planning to live with in-laws until moving into their new construction at the end of June, so at least they'll be benefitting from this delay. =D

...USDA = US Dept of Agriculture = fed govt = bureaucrats = absolutely no point necessary, they'll get to you when THEY are ready ...move along, nothing new here Smiley Frustrated

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 24 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lemmus wrote:

...USDA = US Dept of Agriculture = fed govt = bureaucrats = absolutely no point necessary, they'll get to you when THEY are ready ...move along, nothing new here Smiley Frustrated

Yep. And with that in mind, we rented a 10' by 30' storage unit. It's actually our second because the first has been holding half our stuff since we moved into this apartment last spring. Anyway, we'll begin loading it tomorrow & if we don't close by the end of the month, we'll get a hotel or something until closing. If we end up able to close before then, it's only $150 for the unit, so no big loss. The peace of mind we feel from having a place to put our stuff is worth that much.

Message 25 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jeez is that a dumb scenario. I realize virginia is not as big as texas or wyoming, but 1 appraiser? Good luck. Glad I just paid my rent where I am thru july to limit any problems. 

Message 26 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Jeez is that a dumb scenario. I realize virginia is not as big as texas or wyoming, but 1 appraiser? Good luck. Glad I just paid my rent where I am thru july to limit any problems. 

Not one appraiser-- one closing agent. The office has two appraisers on their list to use & both are booked solid. We could stay in our apartment into July, but the landlord won't prorate for us, so if we pay July's rent, we won't get any money back if we close on July 2nd. We don't like that option & would rather just leave.

Message 27 of 91
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not one appraiser-- one closing agent. The office has two appraisers on their list to use & both are booked solid. We could stay in our apartment into July, but the landlord won't prorate for us, so if we pay July's rent, we won't get any money back if we close on July 2nd. We don't like that option & would rather just leave.

I'd do that too in that situation.  I'm pretty much not going to turn in my own 30 days until CTC and clear title... looked around at a flop house and short term rentals are all moer expensive than living here if this house buying expedition goes back to indeterninate time.

        
Message 28 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd do that too in that situation.  I'm pretty much not going to turn in my own 30 days until CTC and clear title... looked around at a flop house and short term rentals are all moer expensive than living here if this house buying expedition goes back to indeterninate time.

My rent is so cheap it didnt make sense not to. I moved in with a buddy that needed a roommate or he was gonna lose the house, so dont mind the extra month going to him, and having a month to move and get some things done in the house with no furniture and such in there is well worth what I am paying here. And even a week in a hotel would be over my rent...

Message 29 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whew! Our landlord called today to say we can prorate for July with weekly payments if we want to. That's a huge relief for us! We're still planning to continue loading the storage unit to help us get out of here faster when the time comes though. 

Message 30 of 91
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.