Regular Contributor
ccubedzx3

Our lender is offering a "lender credit" should we take it?

I am not sure I fully understand, but from what our Lender told us is that a "lender credit" would be available up to $7000 if rates stay this low.   We are about 90 days from closing, and we were originally quoted approximately $8000 in closing costs.  If this "lender credit" offers $7000, does that mean I only need to come up with $1000 at closing?  If so, that would leave us a lot more cash to buy window treatments, sod and sprinklers, and more. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice!

Starting Score:5/22/10 590
Current Score: 6/11/13 670
Lender Mid Score: 6/11/13 670

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Mike_B03

Re: Our lender is offering a "lender credit" should we take it?

That is correct, if they are giving you a credit, then you would owe the difference. 

A lot of people say that there is a always a "catch" and they somewhere somehow they are gatting that money from you but in our situation for example, it sure doesn't seem that way. Our builder offered 3% toward closing costs if we use their prefered lender and sure enough looking over the paperwork, they are giving us almost $7,700 and all we have to do is come up with another $1500 or so. Seems legit to me.

Valued Contributor
tooleman694

There are 2 catches with a lender credit

1. Rate goes up for each credit you take

2. It can only be used for closing costs

Taking 2 negative points to get the closing costs covered to free up cash may not be a bad idea.

Valued Contributor
Mike_B03

tooleman694 wrote:

There are 2 catches with a lender credit

1. Rate goes up for each credit you take

2. It can only be used for closing costs

Taking 2 negative points to get the closing costs covered to free up cash may not be a bad idea.

We are not paying any points and our quoted rate is 3.375% which seems pretty good to me.

Regular Contributor
ccubedzx3

Thanks for the info guys!

I am purchasing a a home for 308,000, and already put down my 3.5%.   I am trying to keep as much cash in my pocket as possible for all the items we will need to purchase since this is a new construction home.

The other houses in the same neighborhood are appraising for more than what my purchase price was.  There is also a phase 2 to our development coming this spring, and word is that the houses will be going for $30K higher than what I purchased at.   I am hoping to refinance in a year to get rid of PMI if the market continues the upswing.

I just needed clarification on the "Lender Credit" since it seemed too good to be true.  I was locked in a 6.75% rate on our condo that we just sold, so any rate under 4% will seem like a dream to me!  I would gladly pay some additional interest now, to keep my cash for later.

This is good news!! Thank you!

Starting Score:5/22/10 590
Current Score: 6/11/13 670
Lender Mid Score: 6/11/13 670

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
MovingForward_2012

We are purchasing a new construction too at $334,000. They have already started raising prices in this area too. We were told interest would be around 3.125%. We are in the same boat as you as we need to keep as much cash on hand to get new furniture. New house = new furniture! :smileyvery-happy: Congrats!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! :smileyhappy: Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Valued Contributor
tooleman694

Prices are rising here too, our price is 300k with a bunch of options. Right now if we wanted to build the same house with no options it would be 30k higher and we would be priced out.

I was told its gonna go up another 20k by summer.

Valued Contributor
Mike_B03

Wow those prices are really rising quickly! Our home has only gone up $3,000 since we signed the contract 2 months ago. It had gone up $2,000 from the first time we looked at it about a month before making the decision to buy, so $5,000 total so far. Not sure what the starting prices were when the development opened.

Speaking of money to spend on stuff for the house, one of us is a realtor so we will get $9,000 back at closing. That will be very nice to get for window coverings, landscpaing, etc.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}