cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our story - buying home in another state, renting the first. Easy - no issues.

tag
Murph7

Our story - buying home in another state, renting the first. Easy - no issues.

No one ever posts the stories with NO issues, so I thought I would post ours!  I have been reading here for months while we were getting a mortgage and was terrified of all of the horror stories.  The reality was a breeze.

My husband got a new job out of state and we needed to buy a home.  Our house in Michigan is very underwater and we cannot sell, so will be renting.

Anyway, we were able to get approved up to 49% DTI through a broker.  Ours was only 39% with both mortgages, but he could have gone higher.  You DO need 6 months reserves for both mortgages (total payment, including escrow) for conventional, but you do NOT need reserves with FHA.  You cannot count rental income, so you do need to qualify for both though. 

They only pulled our credit once, early on.  No additional pulls, soft or hard.  No crazy debt collectors coming out of the woodwork anyway, so no worries!

NO surprises, everything happened right on schedule.  Put the offer in beginning of April and got clear to close a week before we needed it.

We went conventional, 5% down payment, got a 3.75 rate (one pesky collection from years ago bringing our score way down.  We paid it a little less than 2 years ago, and that was the nail in the coffin.  do NOT pay collections unless you PFD, it actually makes it worse!).  IF we went FHA, we would have gotten 3.25, but crunching the numbers with the higher PMI made us choose conventional.  We cannot deduct PMI on our taxes but can deduct interest, so it made more sense.

Oh another note.  My husband does get bonus income, once yearly, but they did not count that at all, just the base salary.  Luckily it was enough, but I was wondering if they would count it and they did not.

Hope this helps someone, if any questions, feel free to ask. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Re: Our story - buying home in another state, renting the first. Easy - no issues.

Congratulations! I'm glad everything went so smoothly for you!

Message 2 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Our story - buying home in another state, renting the first. Easy - no issues.

I am able to deduct PMI for taxes. Just in case people are wondering. i think it is an extension of a law but it could end at some time.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 7
Murph7

A lot of people can deduct it, our income passes the limit to be able to deduct PMI (don't remember what the limit is, but we haven't been able to take it for years), so we cannot.

Message 4 of 7
Bullitt719

It sounds like you are on a great path and that you know where you're headed and what needs to be done to get there.  I love reading success stories especially after people have gone through hardships to get there.  Keep up the good work!

Message 5 of 7
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

It's great that you had a smooth, easy closing. Enjoy your new home!

Message 6 of 7
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

that's awesome....i'm hoping mines goes just as smooth.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.