cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of pocket expenses on day of closing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of pocket expenses on day of closing?

I am starting the process of looking to buy a home, but I'm wondering what my out of pocket costs will be on the day of closing.  Is it just closing costs or will there be other costs due that day?  Also, what makes up the closing costs?  I'm told that my PMI will be rolled into the loan and will be paid monthly (I'm doing an FHA w/ 3.5% down). Anything else I need to be aware of?  Do I pay the inspection and appraiser myself separately or is that part of the closing costs?  Is it my responsibility to find and hire the inspector and appraiser or will one just be appointed to me by the lender?  Sorry for all the questions.  Thank you!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Re: Out of pocket expenses on day of closing?

I'm curious too!! Good questions
Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

You need a Realtor to help you.  As a buyer, you don't pay the Realtor fees, but you need their help with this process.

The closing costs consists of all kinds of fees. These fees come from many different sectors and are itemized on your Loan Estimate that the lender provides you. There are government fees and taxes, title fees (both buyer and seller), lender fees and miscellaneous fees like survey's and HOA fees (if applicable).

Most of the fees are paid at closing, but there are a few that are paid in upfront (right away) like the appraisal and inspection fees. You will see the appraisal fee detailed on the loan estimate but that fee is paid up front and a credit for that fee is then shown at the time of closing.

The lender has no right to appoint an inspector. You can choose your own or get a list of inspectors from your Realtor or family or friends.

You want a good inspector that knows more than just taking one course to learn about inspections. You want one that knows what to look for and provides a detailed written report (electronic usually) that is emailed to you same day or within 24 hours. Stay away from the novice inspectors and those that take 4 days to turn a report over to you (yes, they still exist). 

However, the lender does hire the appraiser. Some lenders use AMC's (Appraisal Management Company's) to select the appraisers others don't. The appraiser works for the lender. You pay for it, but the appraiser does not work for you. They are there to protect the lender so you don't pay too much for the property.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very helpful, thank you!!!!!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.