Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PMI

I know this is a tax question but NO ONE seems to know the answer on my end and someone HAS to have gone through tax time after the purchase of a new home.

I paid $2500 up front PMI at closing (on HUD-1).  The PMI was then rolled back into the loan.  Received 1098 from WF and it lists $290 paid for PMI (it's a separate line item on the 1098).  So, can I deduct $2790 on my federal return or can I only deduct the $290 listed because it's somehow being amortorized over the life of the loan?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: PMI

cpa question for sure.

i would provide a copy of that form along with the settlement statement to my cpa.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 11
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Also have to consider your income level as well, Dallas is right, advice from a CPA or the IRS is the only advice I'd take.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think I will be dealing with the same so If you find out before I do, please let me know.
Message Edited by JR2475 on 01-13-2009 07:36 AM
Message 4 of 11
itsjustmeibe
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know this is a tax question but NO ONE seems to know the answer on my end and someone HAS to have gone through tax time after the purchase of a new home.

I paid $2500 up front PMI at closing (on HUD-1).  The PMI was then rolled back into the loan.  Received 1098 from WF and it lists $290 paid for PMI (it's a separate line item on the 1098).  So, can I deduct $2790 on my federal return or can I only deduct the $290 listed because it's somehow being amortorized over the life of the loan?

The amount that the mortgage insurance company puts in box 4 is the amount you can deduct. They are amortizing the upfront premium over 84 months which is required. The upside is that if you refinance or sell the house, you would receive a portion of that premium back.

Message Edited by itsjustmeibe on 01-13-2009 08:08 AM
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting development that might help people in the future.  I e-mailed Wells Fargo and asked what amount I should use.  They told me to use whatever was in box 4 of my 1098 which was $231.  I just received a correct 1098 that includes both the upfront payment and monthly payment totals for 2008.  So now the amount is $2762!  Nice!
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks that's great info as I will bringing this to the attention of my CPA doing my taxes.  I thought that I had read that this was the case.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So just to make sure I understand correctly, the 1.5% PMI I paid up from is fully deductable and then whatever PMI I pay monthly through my loan payment is deductable for the year I pay it in?
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not a CPA so I can't give you tax advice. 

The initial 1098 I received from WF had the total of the monthly premium paid over the 3 months I paid the mortgage.  When I called WF to inquire about whether the upfront PMI was deductible, they told me "You can only deduct what is on your 1098".  A week later, I then received a corrected 1098 from them with the up front PMI included along with the monthly amount.  All I know is that the corrected 1098 will be filed with the IRS so I'm doing what I was told, going with what's on my current 1098 (corrected).  

This leads me to think that when I refiance and get a refund of the PMI and then repay it on the new loan, the refund might be considered income but will be offset by the new PMI.  I know I"m not making much sense but if you get a 1098 that doesn't show the up front premium, check with you lender to make sure they did things right on their end.       

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suzie, did you finance the UPMI or did you pay it outright?

I think that's supposed to matter. I've heard that you CAN deduct UMIP and UPMI, but ONLY if it's paid in "cash" -- not if it's financed.

If financed UMIP/UPMI can be deducted, I will be one majorly happy camper!! Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.