Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRE-APPROVAL - Collections

tag
JasonL
Established Member

PRE-APPROVAL - Collections

Hello,

We have been pre-approved for a loan, but are being told that all collections will have to be paid before we close. This is fine since we have the funds to do this.

It's about $2500 on 7 different accounts... Cell Phone,Utilities, Store cards. All over (4) years old.

Do we start paying these now? Some of them are so old that it's hard to even track down the owner. We have been paying some in full, other we are offering lesser amounts.

Will paying them hurt the scores?

Any assitance apprecited.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Re: PRE-APPROVAL - Collections

I would ask to pay them at closing so paying old ones won't make their activity more recent, possibly lowering your score. I would suggest paying the ones you can get to do a PFD for though.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 3
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: PRE-APPROVAL - Collections

@jordanmedical wrote:

I would ask to pay them at closing so paying old ones won't make their activity more recent, possibly lowering your score. I would suggest paying the ones you can get to do a PFD for though.

I agree with trying to PFD on the collections however I would start with the oldest and offer under 40% since the are older the most likely will take your offer than work your way up to the newest.....and you will probably have to have them paid and the UW signed off on them before you get cleared to closed.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.