cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRE-APPROVED..!! But with a condition I can't meet??? LOs, please help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PRE-APPROVED..!! But with a condition I can't meet??? LOs, please help!

Hi all,

I posted on this forum a few weeks ago about my eligibility for a mortgage. A few days ago, I decided to go ahead see if I qualify since I'm looking to move out very soon and was pre-approved through DU with a midscore of 680. There are some conditions listed, all of which are no big deal except ONE - the one requiring a tax return to show commission income. Problem with this is, I wasn't eligible for my employer's commission program last year until the beginning of '09.

What should I do about this? My commission accounts for 30% of my total income this year. If this cannot be verified with a tax return, will my loan amount be reduced? I'm not sure what numbers my LO plugged in to get my max loan mount. I emailed him yesterday and haven't received a reply yet. I'm nervous because I have a 3 day weekend ahead to begin house hunting. 

I need reassurance...... 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: PRE-APPROVED..!! But with a condition I can't meet??? LOs, please help!

Tax returns usually don't break down commission income, salary income, etc.  Income from an employer who pays via W-2 is just grouped together on line 7 of tax form 1040.  Where the commission income is broken down is on a paycheck, as well as a Verification of Employment (VOE) form your loan officer gets completed by your company's HR department.  Commission income needs a 2 year history of receipt in order to be used for qualifying purposes though.  When making commission income, the tax returns are needed to determine what type of unreimbursed expenses one has from their company, as most employees who are paid commission have some extra expenses of their own.

Are you trying for an FHA loan?  Here is what FHA guidelines say about commission income:

D. Commission Income. Commission income must be averaged over the previous two years. The borrower must provide copies of signed tax returns for the last two years, along with the most recent pay stub. (Unreimbursed business expenses must be subtracted from gross income.) Individuals whose commission income shows a decrease from one year to the next require significant compensating factors to allow for loan approval. Borrowers with commission income received for more than one but less than two years may be considered favorably provided the underwriter is able to make a sound rationalization for acceptance and can document the likelihood of continuance.

Commissions earned for less than one year are not considered effective income. Exceptions may be made for situations in which the borrower's compensation was changed from a salary to commission within a similar position with the same employer. A borrower also may qualify when the portion of earnings not attributed to commissions would be sufficient to qualify the borrower for the mortgage. 

So since it's less than 1 year, it wouldn't be used as qualifying income, but could be used as a compensating factor if the file is otherwise "borderline" for approval.  What will likely happen is that the underwriter will have to remove that income and re-qualify you without the comission income.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Shane,

Thanks so much for your reponse. I was pre-approved for 30 yr fixed conventional loan. I don't think my file is on the "border," I have a large (25%) down payment and plenty in reserves and good DTI. I'm worried about my loan amount being reduced because I'm applying based on my income alone and a reduction will really limit my home options. 

Now I'm beginning to stress out!!

Message 3 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

If they back the commission income out, you may be ok because of the large down payment.

DU will accept pretty high dti with that kind of financial commitment.

LO shouldn't have used commission income to qualify you...... 

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dallas,

I just heard back from the LO and he said the same thing you guys did, and sent a new pre-approval letter. Nothing has changed except the condition requiring the tax return has been removed. Since the loan amount is the same, I was wondering if he made a mistake??

Message 5 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It could've very well been possible the loan amount you qualified for didn't need your commission income in order to qualify.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.