Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid State Tax Lien

tag
donkort
Valued Contributor

Paid State Tax Lien

Hello everybody, especially Loan Officers:

They just found a state tax lien in my wife's credit report.  It was paid off almost two years ago. My loan is in underwriting. How would it affect the approval of my mortgage?

Here are the details:

$95,000 mortgage on a $195,000 property, which translates to:

a bit more than 50% down

Middle FICO Scores (pulled by lender):  Me: 703; DW: 707

Conventional Mortgage

State Tax Lien found, no other information about it shown on credit reports, except that it is a "public record."  It is definitely paid and satisfied, though.  I got the info through the state tax website. How can I prove it "officially," though? 

Thanks for any responses. 

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid State Tax Lien

If it shows" release of lien" then you should be ok.( no need to prove it already says paid)  If it says" state tax lien" then it is not paid. Find out who recorded it and give them a call. ( if you lived in that county all your life then its probably that county) You can purchase a copy of the release( if its paid) for about $14 through the recorders office. hope that helps....
Message 2 of 7
donkort
Valued Contributor

Thank you very much. 
Message 3 of 7
donkort
Valued Contributor

I know I paid it, by the way.  If I didn't, they would have garnished my check (or bank account) and sent me collections letters, etc.

If there continues to be a lien, despite what I think, I guess I'll have to pay that amount tomorrow at the recorder's office.  Chalk it up to experience--never take taxes lightly! 

Message 4 of 7
donkort
Valued Contributor

Now I have the proof. I went down to the Queens County Clerk's office, and obtained the proof that my liens are satisfied
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

good job! now you need to write a dispute letter to all three bureaus and atttached a copy of that release for proof. Only if it doesnt say release of lien yet! order all three and find out which one is inaccurate. Good luck with the house! God Bless you and your family
Message 6 of 7
donkort
Valued Contributor

Thank you very much.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.