Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid collection / Charge off question

tag
700bound09
Valued Member

Paid collection / Charge off question

I'm in the process of trying to remove a paid collection (medical) and a charge off (electric bill $300 unpaid bill)  before applying for a FHA mortgage. I've read other posts where some lenders require you to pay off collections. Does that apply also for charge offs? I don't want invest in paying that and this effect my credit. This comes off in 2 years from my report.

Also, with this lingering on my credit should I be concerned about getting approved? I have other compensating factors, 680+ EQ and TU, low DTI, 3.5% down payment, reserves, good income. Also, no lates in the last 24 months, last 30 day late was back in 04.

Message Edited by 700bound09 on 05-14-2009 01:56 PM
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Paid collection / Charge off question

FHA doesn't require collections or charge-offs to be paid off, with your credit scores and since they were from awhile ago and what not I seriously doubt you would as well.  Make sure you ask that question to your lender before you apply though - for example Bank of America Home Loans will require pretty much all collections & charge-offs to be paid, but that is not all lenders and not even most of them, so ask questions before your credit is checked.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.