Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passed Automated UW...now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Passed Automated UW...now what?

Well, I finally got my credit scores above 620, and visited the mortgage broker on Wednesday afternoon. She pulled the scores andthen submitted an application to what I understood to be FNMA for automated underwriting and it came back as approved without conditions. Does this sound right? Is that where she would send the application?

After this, she faxed the complete paper application to her preferred lender, and said that we need to wait 4 to 5 days for it to come back from manual underwriting. I have several really old collections (which are due to fall off from now through the end of the year), and she told me not to worry about these because they are mainly medical and thay they most likeley will overlook them given their age and the small amounts.

She did, hoever, ask me to submit a letter of expanation about what happened to get me in that position. I wrote a rather long, personal letter that detailed what happened to me and the lessons that I learned. I explained that I understand now that it is critical to live within one's means (and thus my application for a mortgage that is well under what my DTI would allow), that I learned to insure against tragedy (and thus my carrying long term disability insurance), and that I learned to be very careful with credit, particularly revolving credit and thus I have credit cards that have low limits that can be paid off at the end of every month. She liked the letter, and said that I was not too personal. Do you think that underwriters actually pay attention to these letters?

Finally, she said that she felt that the application would pass underwriting, but with conditions that I pay a few of the newer collections. If the underwriter says to pay these, it is OK, right? I explained in the letter that I had not paid these because I was advised not to because it would damage my credit score, but that I would be happy to pay them. Was this a bad move?

Please, any advice and/or words of encouragement are appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Passed Automated UW...now what?

FHA doesn't require the collections to be paid. Some lenders do though.

Sounds like you are fine.

This is how a deal goes thru normally when you deal with a broker.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Dallas, for the words of encouragement. So, the underwriter will come back, "we approve if you pay off the following: A, B, C." Then, it will be OK to pay those collections? My broker said that I could pay these at closing (i.e. the closing agent will pay the collections if I give them a certified check in the amount of the collections).
Message 3 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

yes, you would pay them at close. 
Retired Lender
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks, Dallas, for the words of encouragement. So, the underwriter will come back, "we approve if you pay off the following: A, B, C." Then, it will be OK to pay those collections? My broker said that I could pay these at closing (i.e. the closing agent will pay the collections if I give them a certified check in the amount of the collections).

Negotiate with the companys who have the collections that they want you to pay and see if they would do a pfd (pay for delete).  While it's more important to get the mortgage approved, paying those collections without a pfd will actually lower your credit score because it will reage them making them look like they are new.  Keep in mind they dont have to agree to do it but it doesn't hurt to ask and if they do agree get it in writing

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I am still waiting for manual UW approval...I checked my credit reports today and noticed that all three show where the mortage broker pulled the report on May 27 (by Credit Communications). On May 29, there is a soft inquiry by Credit Communications, and it says on behalf of the name of the preferred lender that my broker submitted the loan application documents to. Any idea who Credit Communications is and why they did a second pull two days after I applied? How often are they going to pull my reports during this process?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.