Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay Judgement or Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay Judgement or Collection

I'm in the process of buying my first home - and one of the things that they require, is that I pay off this judgement:

Provide evidence of zero balance for the following accounts. Document source of funds used to pay the following debt(s):

Dulles Green LP 36000 2,075.00

There is also a collection on my credit regarding this judgement.  Do I pay the collections company - or the original creditor?  And if I pay the collections company and they are offering for me to pay less than the judgement is for - can I say that settled the debt?  

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Pay Judgement or Collection

The judgement has to be paid. 

You will need to get a satisfaction from the judgement lien holder when you pay it. Make sure they have recorded it in the public records. Once the judgment is paid and Satisfaction recorded you don't owe the collections agency for the same debt.

Is the CA collecting for the judgment or was was this collection showing prior to the judgement being issued?

Some jurisdictions will allow you to vacate paid judgements (not all). This would be a good thing to do after it is paid and the Satisfaction is recorded. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

The judgement has to be paid. 

You will need to get a satisfaction from the judgement lien holder when you pay it. Make sure they have recorded it in the public records. Once the judgment is paid and Satisfaction recorded you don't owe the collections agency for the same debt.

Is the CA collecting for the judgment or was was this collection showing prior to the judgement being issued?

Some jurisdictions will allow you to vacate paid judgements (not all). This would be a good thing to do after it is paid and the Satisfaction is recorded. 

Okay, so the collection is collecting for the judgement - which is why I'm confused as to who I pay.

The collection is for $3,400 but the judgement is only $2,075 

So basically should I contact the original judgement company and give them 2075 which is the amount of the judgement?  and what do I do if they refer me to the collections company?

I'm supposed to close by Dec 30th - so they are fine with a letter saying it was paid submitted as the documents, I'm just so confused.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

My loan processor said they could pay it at closing.  So I called around to about four different people who had record of the debt until I finally got an answer on where to send the check.

Unfortunately, they won't give this to me in a writing, so my loan processor is going to call and confirm and then write a letter to the underwriter for me. 

Thanks so much for the help!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.