Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay Mortgage Early or Increase Emergency Fund

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay Mortgage Early or Increase Emergency Fund

Current Mortgage is 4.375% 30 Years No PMI. Currently, we are paying extra 1000$ plus bi weekly so the mortgage calculator said we will be paid by more more less 13 years. We don't have credit card debt but is now confused whether we should tackle mortgage or increase emergency liquid funds. We have 6 months worth of emergency excluding roth ira. Appreciate your point of view in this matter. Thank you!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay Mortgage Early or Increase Emergency Fund

@Anonymous wrote:

Current Mortgage is 4.375% 30 Years No PMI. Currently, we are paying extra 1000$ plus bi weekly so the mortgage calculator said we will be paid by more more less 13 years. We don't have credit card debt but is now confused whether we should tackle mortgage or increase emergency liquid funds. We have 6 months worth of emergency excluding roth ira. Appreciate your point of view in this matter. Thank you!

Cash is king.  Your rate is not bad on the mortgage.  I'd increase emergency fund if I were in your shoes as you are already paying extra for your mortgage.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would save at least a few more months worth of monthly expenses just incase. Most of the time when people are out of work it's for medical related emergencies and then your entire savings would be wiped out. Can you save for a few more months then just make the extra payments on the mortgage once you've reached a more comfortable place?

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I had your problem.😊

I think the emergency funds is probably the better choice. But, I also know how liberating paying off a loan can be.
Do you have the option to split it up..best of both worlds.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Prepare for the worse, hope for the best."

Emergency funds.  No doubt.

Message 5 of 14
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

...imnsho six months PLUS the IRA  is more than enough to cover most conceivable emergencies if you have good insurance ...nor would I be paying down a mortgage at 4.375/no pmi ...that's a very good long term investment if real estate is flat or rising over the next decade as it should be, especially considering taxes ...I'd look at putting that $2k xtra every month to work elsewhere ...obviously I'm in the minority here Smiley LOL

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 6 of 14
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Depends on your personal situation.  Is your job safe?  If so you are probably ok on the emergency fund side.  Can you make more than 4.375% on investments?  If so the better option would be to invest that money, and just keep paying down the mortgage as you have been.

Message 7 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I have to agree with beefing up your emergency savings in my personal experience. I had more than a year's worth of emergency savings and blew through that with a medical emergency that came completely out of the blue (don't they all)? I won't go into details but I had over a year saved and thought that was enough. It wasn't. You can't have too much cash saved IMO.

I like that you are paying down your mortgage, but maybe you want to slow down the rate of paydown and put it away. If that rainy day doesn't come, then you can take a lump sum and pay down the balance when you are beyond comfortable (if there is such a thing).

Sounds like you both have your priorities straight though and are doing very well. Congratulations on all of your successes!Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all your response. Should I say, just pay extra 500 instead of current 1000 then keep the 500 as more savings for emergency instead? I had been going crazy looking up if it is actually beneficial to pay off the house early. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-pay-extra-toward-mortgage-100000732.html

there were several comments in this link that said If I pay it early I give up the tax breaks???

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for all your response. Should I say, just pay extra 500 instead of current 1000 then keep the 500 as more savings for emergency instead? I had been going crazy looking up if it is actually beneficial to pay off the house early. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-pay-extra-toward-mortgage-100000732.html

there were several comments in this link that said If I pay it early I give up the tax breaks???

Thats correct on the tax break.  As how much you should pay extra, it will depend on how much you want in your emergency fund.  The thought of being mortgage debt free is nice but the liquid funds availability trumps it.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.