Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off car or no home loan!!!

tag
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pay off car or no home loan!!!

I had to do this exact same thing in order to get my DTI to a decent level.  It hurt, that's for sure.  I took the money I was going to use to put 10 percent down, and applied it to the car instead.  Making that payment was much scarier than the thought of taking on a mortgage on a second property.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 11 of 16
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Cobweb wrote:
I wonder if the underwriter would approve you if you paid off the car down to 10 remaining payments? I think 10 months and under remaining on the loan and it isn't factored into you DTI.

if those 10 payments are over $100 you will see them included in dti
Retired Lender
Message 12 of 16
Cobweb
Valued Member

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

@Cobweb wrote:
I wonder if the underwriter would approve you if you paid off the car down to 10 remaining payments? I think 10 months and under remaining on the loan and it isn't factored into you DTI. Doing this, you would have $5500 and change in savings left in the bank. Additionally, you could start quickly building up your savings once those 10 car payments were out of the way. I'm sorry to hear about your string of bad luck. It sounds like your family has bounced back, and you are being very pragmatic about your future. Good luck with whatever you decide.

For FHA the payment has to be $100 or less and have 10 payments or less to be excluded from the debt to income ratio. Higher payments can be excluded on a case by case basis but something like $500/mo isn't going to be able to be excluded in my opinion.

Thanks for the clarification, Shane!
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, So we got word that we dont have to pay it off until one week before we close. We will transfer it over to our parents and then buy it back after we close escrow or just make payments to them. 

On another note, we got final approval today with all loan docs sent over to the builder to start the process of building our house. It took 52 days for the whole process and today was our deadline!! 

We will celebrate when we have the keys in our hand, but it is still exciting. It has been a long rough road, so hopefully no more speed bumps from here on out!

Thank you to this wonderfull forum for all the help in rebuilding our credit in order to make this happen.

Goos luck to those of you just starting this journey.
Message 14 of 16
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Congrats on the final approval!
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 15 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats Reese.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.