Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying $2500 to lock at 4.25 (1 disc pt)!!!! - Need input

tag
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Re: Paying $2500 to lock at 4.25 (1 disc pt)!!!! - Need input

I've locked rates at a 5/1 ARM at 3.8 and a 30 yr fixed for 4.125% both this week. My condo isn't even finished yet. Locked the ARM for 60 days and the fixed for 50 days. I think you guys' LO screwed you over with the interest rate locks. As long as you're 60 days out from closing, you can lock a rate, dosen't have anything to do with the appraisal.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 15
fabadvice
Established Member

I did not need an appraisal to lock just a contract. My lock is only good for 30 days though.

Message 12 of 15
amtrucker22

I applied for a VA loan 2 nights ago with NFCU and was able to lock the rate in at the end of the application.  This was for a new house but I don't think that it mattered as long as my closing was scheduled in the lock window which was 60 days.  BTW it was at the time 3.875 with 1% discount point.

Message 13 of 15
JAM2013
Established Member

We locked in our rate prior to the appraisal being ordered!

Message 14 of 15
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

as soon as you have pre-approval you should be able to lock.  there shouldn't be a buy down / points requirement to do so either.  my experience i went under contract and ran some numbers through a broker my agent recommended and didn't like the options i was presented.  i shopped it around to a few CU's i had an existing relationship and got better terms out of them and was still able to close from contract to sign off in under a month.  if you have some time before proposed closing it might pay to shop around and see if you can save yourself some money in the long run and get a loan under 4%.  they're still out there and relatively easy to obtain.

check this site out for a quick comparison.

http://www.monitorbankrates.com/mortgages

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.