cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying an Old Collection. Did I just screw my loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying an Old Collection. Did I just screw my loan?

So, I have this collection from 2004, but it is being reported as 2008 (the date the CA purchased the debt from the OC). It is a small amount and my processor told me it would have to be paid. I negotiated a PFD and paid it. I have all the documentation of the PFD agreement and proof that it is paid. CA stated it the letter that they would be deleting it.

My question is: If they don't delete it, will having paid it screw my loan? Before I paid it, my scores were EQ: 765, TU: 671, and EX: 659. Will updating the DOLA drop my score enough that I will no longer qualify for my loan? The threshold is 620.

This CA sends updates to EX and TU every single month. It shows as a missed payment every month since June 2008. I'm not sure how it will affect my score. I know that if they delete before my lender pulls my credit again I will be fine. I'm just wondering what will happen if they don't. Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pmarti8
Valued Member

Re: Paying an Old Collection. Did I just screw my loan?

Hello,

From what I understand the Credit Bureaus made a change to their scoring system afer complaints from consumers that they were being penalized for paying old debt.  What sense does that make? So they claim that paying an old debt will not "renew" the date of last activity and thus make the debt look more recent than it is.  So in a nutshell, paying your old collection "shouldn't" affect your score.  Besides, from the scores you provided you should have some wiggle room either way.  Good luck!

Starting Score: 07/2010 TU 541 EQ 593 Exp 529
Current Score:TU 654 EQ 644 EX 594 br>Goal Score:ALL 660 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
happy0510
Established Contributor

You should be fine.  If you have the PFD documentation, you should be ok.  I bet they will follow through with the delete.  It can range from only hours to longer. Have you checked your CR's yet?

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been checking my EX almost daily. Just trying to head off any possible problem. Don't want another house to fall through.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.