Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying closed accounts with Balance

tag
simyengi
New Contributor

Paying closed accounts with Balance

Now that I have applied for a mortgage and know what my lender scores are, I have a little work to do. My middle lender score is 636, which is lower than the middle score I had when pulling scores from MyFico.

Anyway, in addition to the open revolving credit I have ( all current and under 10% utilization), there are two closed accounts showing a balance. One is $806 and sitting on the report associated with the middle score. The second has a balance of $1516 and is featured on the reports of the low and middle scores. Which one should I tackle first?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Paying closed accounts with Balance

The closed accounts with balances eat up your available utilization on your open accounts. It doesn't matter which one you take care of first as they both need to be reflecting a zero balance. If you can do a PFD you are much better off because the balances will be removed entirely aong with the whole tradeline. I am assuming that since it was closed with a balance it is probably showing as a charge off, right?

Who are the two collection companies? Some of them are easier to work with than others.

Since you need to get rid of both, some people like to get rid of the smaller one first because it gives an immediate win Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
simyengi
New Contributor

One is with Home Depot/Citi and the other is GECRB. TU and EX deleted the Home Depot tradeline, as per a letter sent by Citi. EQ just keeps validating this account as mine. I will give this letter to the credit consultant I'll be working through my loan consultant. The second account just needs to be paid. After Friday's payment, the balance should be $1300. Neither one went to chargeoff status, however. Both creditors preferred piling on the fees.
Message 3 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Are these collection accounts or just the original accounts on your report?  Are they reporting their original limits?

A closed account will factor into your utilization along with its limit.  Once it is paid in full, it will not count for utilization anymore.  So depending on how your utilization looks, you can see a score drop when you pay off a closed account.  For example, let's say you have one open account with a $1K limit and a $500 balance.  And you have a closed account with a $9K limit and a $500 balance.  You're going to have an overall utilization of 10%.  ($500+$500)/($1K+$9K).  But once you pay off the closed account, your utilization would jump to 50% because it would only be calculated based on your open account.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Walt, are you sure how the closed accounts report?

Because when I have seen them on the credit reports and they are closed but have a balance the credit limit reports as zero.

So in your example if you have one open account with a $500 balance and a $1000 credit limit, both the balance and the limit report. Continuing the example, if the second card has a balance of $500 and a previous credit limit of $9000, but the card is now closed, the balance will read $500 but the limit will read zero. So as long as he has the balance on the closed account it will use up his utilization entirely (100% in this example).

IME, if an account is closed by the creditor OR the consumer, the limit will be zero on the closed account. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Message 5 of 8
simyengi
New Contributor

Good point.' The Home Depot is reporting as closed. The GECRB is not.
Message 6 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Walt, are you sure how the closed accounts report?

Because when I have seen them on the credit reports and they are closed but have a balance the credit limit reports as zero.

So in your example if you have one open account with a $500 balance and a $1000 credit limit, both the balance and the limit report. Continuing the example, if the second card has a balance of $500 and a previous credit limit of $9000, but the card is now closed, the balance will read $500 but the limit will read zero. So as long as he has the balance on the closed account it will use up his utilization entirely (100% in this example).

IME, if an account is closed by the creditor OR the consumer, the limit will be zero on the closed account. Please correct me if I am wrong.

From the Closing Credit Cards sticky (http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190):

Tidbits (this section is courtesy of moderator, Lel)

- If a closed CC account with a balance continues to report the original credit limit, then both the balance and the CL of the closed account will be used in the utilization calculations.

- If a closed CC account is reporting a zero CL, even if there is a balance on the CC, the card will not be included in the calculations.

- If a closed CC account is reporting a non-zero CL but has a zero balance, the card will not be included in the calculations.

- If a closed account reports a CL that is equal to the balance (balance chasing), then this will be included in the calculations.  This is the worst-case scenario with regard to utilization.

----

If it reports a limit, it counts for utilization.  If it does not report a limit, then it is not included in utilization at all, i.e., if reporting a $0 CL, it does not count as 100% utilized.  

I can attest to the first scenario, i.e., where the card contiues to report a limit, from personal experience.  I do not have any experience with closed accounts reporting $0 CLs, so I am only repeating what is on the sticky for that scenario.  Whether the lender chooses to continue to report the original CL is probably a YMMV thing.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
simyengi
New Contributor

This is excellent information. It looks like I will pay of the one with the smaller balance then. It should help my credit score. The notation is "closed by consumer" so I'm hoping it helps. When looking at my trimerge report, these two accounts are factored into the utilization.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.