New Visitor
ajkim000

Paying off balance of student loan and its effect on credit score and mortgage pre-approval

I’m prepping to be preapproved for a mortgage and am getting all of my information together. Besides my normal monthly bills (no car payment or rent), I pay about $450/month in student loans.

My parents would like to help me with my home purchase and offered to pay off the balance of my student loans (yes, I’m very lucky!) which is about $29K. My question is, how much of an effect would this have on my mortgage preapproval? I’m assuming it would boost my credit score, which is already solid, but how significant of a difference would it make? I have no other debts.

I’m sure more information would help this forum provide a more accurate answer, but was just hoping to see how beneficial the elimination of student loans would be.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Valued Contributor
tooleman694

Re: Paying off balance of student loan and its effect on credit score and mortgage pre-approval

Since you dont have any other installment loans, paying these off might actually lower your score.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+