Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off credit cards before/at closing

tag
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

Paying off credit cards before/at closing

Among the snags that I have run into during the mortgage process, one of them if the fact that part of my child support will stop within the next 3 years because one of my children will be 18. This decreases my monthly income and is now putting my loan in danger.

I have a few small credit cards but the monthly payments are being counted towards my dti ratio. My question is, can't I pay those off before/at closing and free up the difference in child support that I'm losing? Some of the payments are only $25-$35 monthly but one is $57 and one is $67. Combined they are close to the difference in income.
Freedom $3k, DCU $5k, BoA Rewards $1k, BoA Americard $2k, Barclay's Ring $3k, Cap 1 Plat $2k, QS1 $2k, Discover IT $500, Lowe's $10k

Scores: EQ 687, TU 709, EX 692
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Paying off credit cards before/at closing

we will still use the credit card payments against you unless you close the accounts.

you cannot pay down/off revolving credit to qualify....... a closed credit card is an installment account

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 4
BarackOdrama

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

we will still use the credit card payments against you unless you close the accounts.

Does that apply if you paid your cards down to 0 before applying?

Message 3 of 4
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

I thought that with the new loan qualifications, you don't have to close the accounts anymore. Or is that just like Freddie Mac?
Freedom $3k, DCU $5k, BoA Rewards $1k, BoA Americard $2k, Barclay's Ring $3k, Cap 1 Plat $2k, QS1 $2k, Discover IT $500, Lowe's $10k

Scores: EQ 687, TU 709, EX 692
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.