Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off old collections with disputes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off old collections with disputes

I recently applied for an FHA mortgage pre-approval. My middle score was 636, which the lender said was ok because they accept 620. When I asked if it were ok to go looking at houses she said that my file would have to go to the underwriter because of the disputes. Two of those accounts are due to fall off of my credit report this year. One in July, and the other in September. I disputed the accounts a few years ago, but the dispute comments were never removed. Both of these accounts are over $1000 and neither collection agency is willing to take less than $800 to settle. With FHA, will these accounts have to be paid anyway? The lender didn't even issue me a conditional pre-approval and I am very skeptical about paying $1600 and having the underwriter still deny me. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
m29
Regular Contributor

Re: Paying off old collections with disputes

I was in the same situation as you a few weeks ago when i applied for a mortgage. I had a 5 year old collection account that I had disputed, it was for $1002. LP came back and said it would have to be paid before closing because it was over $1000 (new rule). I called the CA that day and settled for half and just have to provide proof to the Bank that it was paid! This is just my experience, others may chime in with different experience!

Starting Score: 8/30/11 EQ 520 TU98 593
Current Score: LO Pull 3/5/12 EQ 659 TU04 652 EX 649
LO Pull 5/26/12 EQ 656 TU04 668 EX 651
Goal Score: 700 by 12/30/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I'm looking for...a pay before closing condition. The collection that falls off in September is $1100, but they won't take less than $870. I wouldn't even have a problem with paying $870 if I knew they would approve me. I'm just scared that after paying this amount, I still won't get approved. I've read about other people getting conditional approvals, and that's really all I want.
Message 3 of 5
m29
Regular Contributor

In my case I was actually on the phone with my LO discussing this and I asked him if I could still get the file sent to UW (I desperately wanted the get an FHA case number before 4/1 due to all the changes) with the condition that I would pay the collection.  He said hang on the LP just walked in, so he explained the situation and the LP agreed to submit with that condition!! Still in UW now so I am crossing my fingers!!! Good Luck keep us posted!

Edit: I feel it necessary to add, when My file originally went through AU there were only 2 things that were flagged. The other was taken care of immediately (incorrect reporting on my CR). This collection was the other thing!

That being said I have no idea how the rest of your file looks so it is hard to compare! 

Starting Score: 8/30/11 EQ 520 TU98 593
Current Score: LO Pull 3/5/12 EQ 659 TU04 652 EX 649
LO Pull 5/26/12 EQ 656 TU04 668 EX 651
Goal Score: 700 by 12/30/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
tammyjk
Regular Contributor

I am in a situation like yours.  I ask my broker about the new rules and he said no one really knows for sure whats what.  Yesterday they eased up on the condition and stated that a letter could be written explaining the collections.  This is very much the same thing that happens when you do not get an automatic approval and it goes to underwriting.  I have one collection for 1200 that puts me over the 1000 cap.  The broker told me do not pay it off yet.  I was concerened it would lower my score if I did pay it off since it is 5 years old and would bring the account out of hiding.  He told me that he believes it can be a stipulation that it be paid AT closing.  Right now I am sitting tight until there is further clairification.  It should only take a few days of the mortgage industry screaming to make that happen.  The area I am looking at also qualifies for usda funding.  In usda funding, the collections would not have to be paid. 

Keep in mind a 640 middle score can get you past underwriting for an auto preapproval but any account in dispute will flag it.  I have had all dispute remarks removed before applying for approval.  Once you remove those dispute remarks your credit score will go down because that amount in dispute is now figured in your usage ratio. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.