Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Plan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Payment Plan

Well, we took the leap and entered into a payment arrangement on my Hubby's open $12,000 collection. I hope to knock the majority of it down when taxes come. My question is, can we still qualify for an FHA or USDA loan with a payment plan or would it need to be PIF before we apply?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Payment Plan

It differs by lenders. Since that is a monthly debt, it may also be included in your DTI.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured it would count as DTI... But, I honestly have no other option. I was excited that it's a low monthly payment for now.. Do they usually allow a PFD if you call and offer to settle at a lower amount?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

PFD's are literally like flipping a coin. Some people get them, some don't. Some get it on the 1st try, some get it on the 4th try, some never get it. It's all up to the creditor.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ty
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pfd is usually given if PIF. Tbh, while you're bargaining, your option is to call them and ask for deletion if paid in full. If they won't do that, I would request to settle for less or not pay at all. Because the baddie will count against you no matter what you do as long as it's on your credit report. At least if you settle for less you save cash and stop the bleeding of the acct freshly reporting every month. In either case, you have to have the cash. A 50% offer to settle in full is an attractive offer to creditor. Some will even settle for less. On your credit report it will appear as "settlement for less" wig a $0 balance, in which case the baddie will remain but you've saved some cash and now this won't count against DTI. But try for delete first.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My only real concern is this $12k one.. The small ones can be PIF, but I will definitely ask for deletion. I will continue this payment plan on the big nasty one... lol Thanks everyone. As always you guys ROCK!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make your payments on BIG NASTY - and work the LITTLES in the meantime.   That will slowly reduce the balance and get you to tax time (I thought I read where you could take a chunk out of it then......my bad if I'm wrong)   

Then when you get the tax refund - you can try to settle/PFD or something.   The worst that happens is you keep making payments......

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you read right! Thanks for all the advice. I figure worst case scenario is I still pay a chunk down and continue making monthly payments, either way it will all get better 😀
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.