Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal loan for credit card payoff

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal loan for credit card payoff

I am in the process of home shopping and have credit cards with high UT.  I was wondering if it would be better for me to take a personal loan from my credit union and pay off the credit cards in one shot and keep them open.  If i keep chipping away it may take a while.  I did the math and if i took a loan I would save a few hundred a month and my UT would be almost zero so i could keep it in the desired range.  Would a new personal loan create problem with mortgage?  I know my FICO numbers should increase and my debt to income should also improve.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Personal loan for credit card payoff

if you have already started the mortgage process, and can get approved with your credit file as is, I would hold off on the loan until after closing.  At the very least, you should discuss this with your lender as it will definitely cause unwanted scrutiny in underwriting.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You

Message 3 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

What mortgage lenders look at is DTI - Debt to Income Ratio. But they don't look at actual total debt, unless it's way out of line to your income. What they look at the required debt payments divided by your income to calculate the DTI. For credit cards they use the minimum payment, and for most CCs that's only 1% of balance, so it's likely that the minimum payment required on your CC balances will be lower than the monthly payment on an installment loan to pay them off. I'm in the pre-approval process for a USDA mortgage and I just did the opposite of what you're considering - I have a 36 month Prosper loan at 11% APR with monthly payment of $163. Current balance is just under $3800, so I app'd and was approved for a Barclay NFL Extra Points card w/CL of $5k (I raised it to $7700 by transferring part of my CL on another Barclay card). That card has a 0% interest for 15 mos, for balance transfer made within the first 45 days, so I just did a BT for my Prosper loan. I should be able to pay it off in 15 mos., and for my mortgage DTI Barclays's minimum 1% payment of around $40 is 1/4th of my Prosper loan payment.

When you say the loan will save you a couple hundred a month then your CC interest rate is high - maybe app'ing for a new CC with 0% introductory offer for BTs would be a better way to go? The standard (and good) advice is to not apply for new credit within 6 mos of applying for a mortgage, but if you explain the new CC was to transfer your CC debt to 0% on the new card so you can pay it off more quickly they should like that.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  I also had a nother loan that I woukld have paid off with the new loan so that is why I would have saved money.  I may just keep throwing money at the balances and get my UT lower a litle at a time, just did not know if i would see a big boost in my score with an much lower UT.

Message 5 of 8
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

OP, in your original post, you state that you are house hunting.  Have you started the mortgage process yet?  if you have started it, it's best to discuss this with your LO.  If you haven't, when do you plan to apply?

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 6 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i have had clients successfully do the same as you and be fine.

if you have a thin credit file this is dangerous. if not, then this is low risk..... but still a risk

if you are going ffor conventional then the score difference can make a substantial price difference.

if going fha it likely will not change the price, hence not worth the risk unless you are tettering on the dti line.

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spoke with LO and he said keep paying down balances and keep things the way they are fo now.  I had a has and had my mortgage commitment but it ended up with problems with title search so may keep looking or go short sale route. Thank eveyone for their input.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.