cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan on applying for a FHA loan in 6 months...unsure of the next steps to take to prepare

tag
RocketChick
New Contributor

Plan on applying for a FHA loan in 6 months...unsure of the next steps to take to prepare

Hello everyone, I wasn't too sure where I needed to post this question. So if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize! Smiley Wink

Okay well a few months ago, I began on the rebuilding path with the hopes of purchasing my first house next year, I was hoping for around March 2013. I have already began working on removing negative items from my CR. I had 2 paid collections ( so far, I have had 1 removed via GW)  and some more negative TLs have been removed through dispute (they were listing  incorrect info) . So I know I need to get the rest of the negative TLs removed also before that time. My positive TLs that I have, I have 1 installment TL (my car) that I will have had for 1 year this December, but I have 2 more car loans before that that are positive and closed. ( they were paid off)

Currently I have 2 cc reporting on my CR, one from 2008 and also 1 that I just opened last month. I opened it BC I was told I needed more revolving credit. So I currently have the 2 cc, one has a $250 CL and the other $300 cl.

I currently have My Fico, Transunion and Experian Credit monitoring services and on the Transunion site( I believe) they said that 1 of the things that is hurting me on my credit file is the fact that my credit limit on my revolving credit is too low. It said that the low amount of credit available doesn't really show that I can handle credit, lenders like to see larger amounts ( I believe it said about or around $2000) So I was thinking about applying for a Capitol One Secured Card. That way I  would have some sort of control regarding my credit limit, since it based upon the amount that I deposit. I was planning to deposit $1500, so that way I would have a CL of $1500 in the Cap 1 and along with my other 2 cards, it would total about $2050 in available credit. Also I beleive I read the magic number of CC to have for a good mix of credit is between 2-3. 

So I guess I have a 2 part question. If I was to apply for that card now, the 6 month mark would be about March 2013, is that too new of an account to have if I was to apply for a FHA loan at that time (the 6 month mark) ? Would getting that card  help me or would it hurt me more?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Plan on applying for a FHA loan in 6 months...unsure of the next steps to take to prepare

Based on what you posted I would....

1) opt-out.

2) get one balance for the CC to report $0, and the other under 9% of the CL.

3) keep the monitoring services, but ignore the scores and advice (other than SW).

4) Ignore the low limit mention. That's not FICO-related. FAKO advice. Per FICO, the CL doesn't matter.

5) Don't open any more credit. It will likely impact AAoA. Combined with the new ding, you could end up with a net loss.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.