Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing the waiting game

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Playing the waiting game

Where do I begin, I have been using these forums to help with paying off debts, finding a good lender also definitions to terms that I am unfamiliar with, such as the infamous "whats a short sale".  So I got preapproved and prequalified before I went out to look at homes.  I found a home put an offer in that was on the 28th of June, it was a short sale but blessedly we didnt wait that long for a response from the bank, our offer was accepted.  Now to underwriting. The firs list of conditions went well, it was normal stuff like social security, bank statements, tax forms, etc.  The second set came in the middle of July asking for explanation for 3 deposits.  Now all this time the closing date was the 24th.  At this point the 24th came and went.  Then just this past week, my lender had been throwing diferent numbers for the downpayment.  I was going with FHA originally.  In the process of all this happening my bank loses about 4000 dollars so I start to take the balance and put it in another bank.  Well my loan officer was aware before I did the transfer however it came back that I shouldnt have done that.  Than we get a gift from a very close friend  which then they ask to see his bank statements, I mean come on now, so I tell them no I am not asking him for his bank statements,they need to figure something else out.  Now the next step to all of this is my loan now is being switched from FHA to Rural.  Okay I dont know what that means but according to my lender this will work better.  This has beent he most stressful 2 months of my life.  So now according to my lender I need to wait another 2 weeks.  At this point I dont have a closing date, I do have an extention to the end of the month and I hope I can finally close by then.  Now I have been looking up this USDA Rural Loan I am still confused about it.  Any one out there that can explain it to me so that I can understand I will be most aprreciative .

Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Playing the waiting game

USDA Rural guidelines are often more strict from what i've read. I'm a bit surprised your lender suggested it with the problems you've had with proofs of deposits. I'm assuming it's because of the downpayment. FHA requires 3.5% downpayment, Rural loans don't require a downpayment at all but the property has to be in an approved rural area. FHA is 96.5% financing and you can't finance closing costs (although seller can pay them) where USDA finances 102% and allows you to finance closing costs into the loan.
Message 2 of 3
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Playing the waiting game

Hi...my daughter just did a rural development loan, and it went smoothly for her.

Do you know if they have to get a new appraisal now that the loan program has changed? The two loan programs may have different property/repair guidelines, and that can sometimes slow things up. Hopefully, if they need a new appraisal, the same appraiser who did it the first time can do it for rural development. A 2nd appraisal could hold things up.

Buying a home is usually stressful...it's a process we all had to endure. Sounds as if you've had some extra challenges thrown in. Hang in there. It'll be worth it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.