03-19-2012 09:25 AM
OK, well offer was accepted 2 months ago and due to several delays in appraisal and inspection it doesn't look like I'm going to be closing anytime soon.
Appraisal came in $900 under offer price (we were all suprised, thought it was appraise atleast $5k over)
Seller wanted it reappraised but since it was within 5% of contract price the appraiser stood firm
Seller verbally agreed to drop the $900 but nothing in writing until it went through review team at bank & USDA
USDA wanted ~$1000 worth of fixes done
Got an estimate that was right at that and agreed to pay half of that
Seller called the contractor last minute and told them not to do the work
Seller contacted appraisor again and wanted it appraised higher after the work was completed (I'm guessing so he could back out of dropping the price by $900)
Appraisor told him that it wasn't anything big enough to change the appraisal
So now I'm stuck in limbo because the seller is still being stubborn over the appraisal.
I put in a final verbal offer of paying the $900 difference for the appraisal but he has to pay the ~$1000 for the fixes and we have to close by the 29th
Wish me luck...supposed to close and rate lock ends March 26th but just called and got a free 3-day extension on the rate lock from the bank, after that is cost 1/8th point for 5-day extension.
Part of me wants to say forget it but this house is damn near perfect for me (location, size, garage, full basement)
03-19-2012 09:33 AM
I understand your frustration, we went through a lower apprisal with our house and the seller wanted to dispute. We told them, they could dispute, but we wanted to know what they were willing to do if the apprisal stayed the same because we werent going to waste and extra time. What me and my wife had to realize when we were putting pressure on the seller is that their are alot of other houses out there. Yes you like this one, but if its a bad deal, its a bad deal. Dont get into a house above what its worth or make concessions just to get the house. You have to draw that line in the sand with your seller and say "Either you want to sell or you dont, I am ready, willing and able"
If he still balks or gives you trouble, he isnt that motivated to sell and its the first or most likely more problems to start.
03-19-2012 08:00 PM
Take a deep breath and repeat after me, "there are many houses out there and new ones on the market everyday. If this falls through the next may be even better"
My husband has been trying to buy a home for 2 years now. The first time we were only a few days from closing when he lost his job. It was intentional sabotage and he was rehired after his manager was fired for other sabotage, but it was too late to save the deal. We thought we were in love with that house and it was very disappointing. A year later he finally had enough time spent at a new job to put in another offer, this time it was a short sale. We signed on it in June, it wasn't approved until December, but then the seller only gave us a few weeks to get our financing together. We thought that wouldn't be a problem, but, turns out our mortgage company lost our paperwork. Seller wouldn't extend the contract. Worst part of the deal is that we thought he was a nice old man, so when he asked for our appraisal and inspection, well, we let him have copies of them. Turns out a friend of his got to buy the house using our appraisal and inspection that we paid for. I'm still working on reporting him for fraud as his bank required that it be an 'arm's length transaction'. House was back under contract not even an hour after it was listed back on the market. We were very angry and disappointed as the house was perfect for us, even better than the last house.We lost another $1000 in inspections and appraisals too.
We are under contract again, this time with a different lender, and on a house that's even better than the last two. We're smarter this time, wrote up the contract so that if the seller backs out they have to pay our appraisal fees and inspection back to us. If we actually close this one, we will be so happy we didn't get either of the other two we tried for.
This is a buyers market, not a sellers market. Go out looking again and check out what's on the market. If you find something better with a more motivated/reasonable seller, kick this one to the curb. If you don't find anything you like more, wait it out a bit. Appraisers generally are not appraising above anymore.
Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000
Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009
Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)
Gardening since 9/22/2014
03-19-2012 08:35 PM
Thank you for sharing. You lesrn something new everyday
03-19-2012 11:48 PM
04-06-2012 09:56 AM
Well, still haven't closed. Came to an agreement and the work got done but now the bank & usda keep screwing things up. After monday I have to pay a 3rd 1/8th point extension fee. I told the loan officer I am not paying another extension because of their screw ups and I WILL walk away. Problem is I really don't want to loose the earnest money, appraisal/app fee, inspection, etc which is almost $2000.
Another thing is the contractor was to be paid for his work at closing which he agreed to but we are now 10 days past closing date and he is getting mad and wants his money. Will he have any legal action against me for that $1000?
*deep breaths and counts to 10*
04-07-2012 05:28 AM
I wish you every luck in the world! I know the frustration of being in limbo over low appraisal prices - we lost two seperate houses to that very thing. Yours is not so bad though our apprails came back 30k and 25k under asking price!!
Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more
FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.