Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points and another question

tag
TraumaDrea
Valued Member

Points and another question

What exactly are points that you pay for? Also how do you know if you were auto approved or manual? I got my approval but I do not know what to think about the points on the GFE. If posting GFE will help let me know

Message Edited by TraumaDrea on 05-30-2008 07:50 PM
Traumajunkie "I am not saying I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you do! "
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Points and another question

Origination points are charged to recover some costs of the loan origination process. Typically, your Loan Officer's compensation is based on the Origination point(s). Depending on the lending institution, the Origination Point(s) may be negotiable in whole or in part.

Discount Points are used to "buy" your interest rate lower. This is known as a rate "buydown." A general rule of thumb is that one full Discount Point will lower your fixed interest rate .250% or your adjustable rate .375%. These points lower the interest rate for the entire term of the loan.

As far as your approval goes, that would be a question for your broker/loan officer.
Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Points and another question

post the fees in the 800s numbers from gfe.

rates and fees go hand in hand..... high fees = lower rate and lower fees = higher rate.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.