Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio lender for a rental property using gift funds

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio lender for a rental property using gift funds

Is it possible to get an investment property mortgage using gift funds as part of the down payment? We would like to help our son buy a condo in Hawaii to use as a rental but he needs our help with the down payment. If we deposit the money into his account for most lenders it would need to age. Is there a way to do that without aging the funds?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Portfolio lender for a rental property using gift funds

If i remember correctly, a number of years ago i had something similar happen to me. My wife's father gave us a few thousand dollars for a down payment on an investment home. The lender said we needed a letter from who it was stating that it was a gift and they were NOT promised repayment. Furthermore, they required a copy of the check that was deposited and her father needed to provide proof of the funds leaving his account.

Basically the lender wanted a letter signed saying no repayment was needed; bank statements from the giftor; and bank statements from the buyer.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would work for an owner occupied, but from everything I can find Freddie and Fannie don't allow gift funds for an investment property. That's why I'm wondering if it can be done with a portfolio lender. Thanks though!

Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I almost never recommend this, but consider co-signing for your son. He can refi after sometime (a year???) and take you off the mortgage.  The reason I mention a year is because the new appraised value will be used rather than the purchase price. Just my 2 cents.

Message 4 of 7
me12345
Frequent Contributor

No, however, it only needs to be seasoned for 2 months...so it could take longer than that just to find a home...

another option would be for you to purchase it as a 2nd home OR you could be a Non-occupying Co-borrower.

Thanks,

VA & FHA down to 550...
Licensed Senior Mortgage Loan Officer in the states of Arizona & California
Specializing in VA, FHA, USDA & Conventional loans. My company is also licensed in 12 states, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Utah,
Alaska, New Mexico, Texas, Illinois and Florida
Message 5 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@me12345 wrote:

No, however, it only needs to be seasoned for 2 months...so it could take longer than that just to find a home...

another option would be for you to purchase it as a 2nd home OR you could be a Non-occupying Co-borrower.

Thanks,

^^^Isn't that restricted to a primary residence only? 

Message 6 of 7
me12345
Frequent Contributor

Yes, you are correct... If this is investment property, then being a Non-occupying Co-borrower would not be an available option.

Thanks for the heads-up!

VA & FHA down to 550...
Licensed Senior Mortgage Loan Officer in the states of Arizona & California
Specializing in VA, FHA, USDA & Conventional loans. My company is also licensed in 12 states, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Utah,
Alaska, New Mexico, Texas, Illinois and Florida
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.