Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible FHA loan questions.

tag
miltown81
New Contributor

Possible FHA loan questions.

Hey folks. Can someone give me some feedback on what most people look at in terms of APR, Interest, PMI, etc. on an FHA loan for the following situation? I am seriously considering purchasing a home this summer but want to see what others think. I don't have a "set" range for a home but would think that I want to keep it under $135K. I live in Waukesha, WI.  

Current FICO score: 723, Income: 55K base +6k avg bonus, CC debt: 0, Auto Loan: 12,500. I have little money to put down as most of my discretionary money goes to retirement funds (401k, IRA & VUL). Any thoughts or insights on what costs/rates I'd be looking at? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Starting Score: 711
Current Score: 819
Goal Score: 820

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Possible FHA loan questions.

Any reason why you want to go FHA? you are a perfect fit for conventional.

With FHA you are probably lookn at a low 3.25 rate or so. I think PMI would be like 130ish a month.

You go conventional, you could get the PMI gone.

Message 2 of 9
miltown81
New Contributor

I'm honestly tired of renting and getting that "itch" to own a home. I was thinking of FHA because I only have about 5K saved for a down payment. I could wait another 2 years or so but the time just seems right and I don't want it to pass me by.

Message 3 of 9
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

That is even more of a reason to go conventional, the 3 percent down with conventional is cheaper than the 3.5 percent down with FHA.

Message 4 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@tooleman694 wrote:

That is even more of a reason to go conventional, the 3 percent down with conventional is cheaper than the 3.5 percent down with FHA.

Toolman - are you sure? I thought the 3% down payment applied strictly to fannie mae conventional loan for a fannie mae foreclosure. Otherwise the minimum is 5% down for a regular conventional loan.

Message 5 of 9
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Yup Fannie Mae, LTV is 97 percent.

It used to be called flex 97 but they got rid of it, now its part of the regular guidelines.

Message 6 of 9
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

If you buy a fannie mae foreclosure, its also 3 percent.

Message 7 of 9
miltown81
New Contributor

Wow. 3%? In all my time on the Forums, I have not seen that. Although I havn't spent much time on the mortgage threads. So the 3% down is only available to FM forclosures?

Message 8 of 9
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Its 3 percent down for their standard guidelines on a regular home purchase.

You need a 680 score, 3 percent down. yada yada yada yada.

I know a guy who just bought a home a couple months back and did it. He was way over the FHA loan limits so he had to go conventional since he didnt have a ton of cash on hand.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.