Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly dumb question re: bank statements

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Possibly dumb question re: bank statements

Regarding verification of deposits: if I don't plan to use the money in a given depository account for either downpayment, asset verification, or reserves, do I need to provide statements at all regarding it?

The scenario is I have a slew of various checking / savings accounts ranging from $5 - $500 which have virtually no financial relevance in my life and none for the purposes of mortgage qualification.  

Although it's not directly applicable, in Fannie's Large Deposit Guidelines: "Funds held in a checking, savings, money market, certificate of deposit, or other depository accounts may be used for the down payment, closing costs, and financial reserves. The funds must be verified as described in B3-4.2-01, Verification of Deposits and Assets. Unverified funds are not acceptable for the down payment, closing costs, or financial reserves."

Does this mean for the random Penfed, SDFCU, Alliant, Logix, etc ad naseum Share savings accounts I have I can simply ignore for documentation purposes and leave them as unverified?  The mainline checking account carries 100% of the direct deposits and everything gets written off that directly for expenses, and the only assets and downpayment funds claimed will be off a brokerage account.

I think based on what I was reading of Shane's posts the only ones I would have to provide would be if I cared enough to get the secured installment loan payments whacked from my DTI calculation (they're trivial on the home price I'm chasing, my front-end ratio is the gatekeeper for me anyway and it's additional paperwork hassle if they won't accept the Secured notation on the credit report). 

Anyway am I off on this one or do I need to get 2 months worth of statements from likely a dozen or more unimportant accounts in the margins of my financial life?

        
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Possibly dumb question re: bank statements

You don't have to supply all of your assets at all.

Since you have one main account and are using it to qualify, that is the account for which you would supply your 60 days of bank statements. The only exception I have ever seen to this is when you are transfering funds from one of the other accounts into the main account; that is when they will want to see those statements. Doesn't sound like it would apply in your case.

Message 2 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@StartingOver10 wrote:

You don't have to supply all of your assets at all.

Since you have one main account and are using it to qualify, that is the account for which you would supply your 60 days of bank statements. The only exception I have ever seen to this is when you are transfering funds from one of the other accounts into the main account; that is when they will want to see those statements. Doesn't sound like it would apply in your case.

That's what I had thought just in general but I appreciate the confirmation, many thanks S10!  

        
Message 3 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

You're welcome! 

BTW, make sure the EMD comes out of the account for which you are supplying bank statements to the lender Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I didn't disclose all if my accounts to my lender. I figured there was no reason to as they are not being used at all for mortgage purposes.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 5 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@frugalQ wrote:
I didn't disclose all if my accounts to my lender. I figured there was no reason to as they are not being used at all for mortgage purposes.

^^^Exactly. You must disclose all liabilities, but not all assets. Only the assets you need to qualify for the purchase.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.