cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential First Time Homebuyer with questions....

tag
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

Potential First Time Homebuyer with questions....

I am wondering how your mortgage rate is determined. Is it based on the credit score of the person with the higher income? My husband and I want to purchase a home. I have a higher score (which will improve in June when my util drops to <10%) but he has the higher income (His $64k vs my $33K). Also, should we even apply when he is still just one year out from his last late? 

Thanks in advance for any advice...

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Potential First Time Homebuyer with questions....

The lender will pull all of your scores and then use the mid-score of the lowest of both of your credit pulls. The interest rate is based on the lowest of the mid-scores. The rate has nothing to do with who has the higher income. Although the amount you qualify for is income related.

If you get a conventional loan the MI is also credit score sensitive. If you put down more than 20% you don't pay MI. If you get an FHA loan, it is not score driven. You qualify if you meet the min requirements of the lender for an FHA loan.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.