cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Approval But Not Ready To Purchase Yet...

tag
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

Pre-Approval But Not Ready To Purchase Yet...

Hello All-

I really do want to buy a house at some point in the future and stop renting. I am just weiry of the entire mortgage process and to be honest, with $97k in student loans, a $16k car loan, and really no huge amount of reserves beyond my 401k and about $3k in my NFCU savings, I'm wondering if I even qualify for a mortgage. So my question to you all is would it be wrong to see if I can get pre-approved for a mortgage and find out what if any amount I can get approved for even if I am not looking to purchase in the next three months? Also, I make $60k a year and have been on my job for 2 years but at my previous job in the same healthcare field for 10 years.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: Pre-Approval But Not Ready To Purchase Yet...

usually the ask you how much you need to be approved for, and the will look at your monthly min payments as apposed to your total debt. You might want to look into a pre-qualification first.

Message 2 of 3
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pre-Approval But Not Ready To Purchase Yet...

@beb86 wrote:

usually the ask you how much you need to be approved for, and the will look at your monthly min payments as apposed to your total debt. You might want to look into a pre-qualification first.

Thank you beb86, I think that will be the way I'll go. Especially since I am not ready to buy yet.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.