cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Approval process with a long house search?

tag
rjfallon

Pre-Approval process with a long house search?

We are looking to start the home buying process, and figure that we should get pre-approved prior to contacting a realtor.  Seeing as the market is starting to slow down for the winter, we are assuming it may be a few months before we find a house.  

I was wondering how that works for the pre-approval. Does the pre-approval "expire" and if so will we need to keep getting pre-approved, resulting in a credit pull each time?  I wasn't sure how that would affect the credit score when we actually apply for the mortgage.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RJA
Regular Contributor

Re: Pre-Approval process with a long house search?

@rjfallon wrote:

We are looking to start the home buying process, and figure that we should get pre-approved prior to contacting a realtor.  Seeing as the market is starting to slow down for the winter, we are assuming it may be a few months before we find a house.  

I was wondering how that works for the pre-approval. Does the pre-approval "expire" and if so will we need to keep getting pre-approved, resulting in a credit pull each time?  I wasn't sure how that would affect the credit score when we actually apply for the mortgage.

Your pre-approval should be good for 90 days, at which time the lender will need to do another credit pull and reissue a new letter.  As for score drops due to multiple pulls, I've had a total of 8 pulls per report and my score dropped 1 point so far.   I hope that another pull won't do more damage.  Others have reported that their score dropped more points though.  Any pulls within a 30-45 day timeframe are generally counted as one - when viewed by potential lenders.   

Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Pre-Approval process with a long house search?

credit expires..... pre-approval dies along with it.

to get a new preapproval letter, you should just be prepared to send new paystubs/financials and get a new credit report.

we do this all of the time.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.