Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Approval through Underwriting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre-Approval through Underwriting

My husband and I are trying to get preapproved for a mortgage. Initially our loan officer said that every looked good, but then he said he was having a hard time getting it through automatic underwriting because of some issues on my husbands credit report. 

We both have around a 650-660 credit score. My husband had several collections about 5 years ago, they are all medical bills from one incident. He also had about 1.5 years of late payments on an auto loan. He was making a payment every month at that time, but because he was a payment behind they counted the payment he would make as last months payment and marked the current month late again.

Our loan officer asked us to write a letter of explaination for those things, which we did and he is trying to get it approved through manual underwriting. I am just wondering what anyone things our chances of getting through are. We make a little more than 50K per year. We have a DTI of 23%. We are hoping to purchase something in the $130-$140 range.  Our loan officer has just  said that he can't guarantee approval but will do his best. I am not hopeful, but I do wonder whether he would go through all of this trouble with us if there was no chance...

The qualifications for the loan we applied for were 620 or better score, income less than $82k, and we could not be purchasing a home for more than $250k.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
indecison
Regular Contributor

Re: Pre-Approval through Underwriting

How recent were the late payments? What type of loan is this?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem that I had was the loan we were going for would not allow more than one 30 day within a 12 month period, so I could be added onto the loan. I had two 30 day lates through DTE Energy. I called DTE and asked them if they would remove the lates and explained we were in the process of purchasing a home and they said yes, they sent a letter over within an hour and I was added into the loan. Maybe you could try this, the worst they can say is no, but it is better than not trying at all.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it really just depends on the underwriter.  How long ago were the late payments and is it possible to just apply for the loan by yourself?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The last late payment was March of 2011. This is a mortgage.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not able to apply for the loan by myself, because I don't make enough money to qualify for a home on just my income...at least not one we would be interested in buyihg.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.