New Visitor
Phinz

Pre-approved home loan for unmarried couples?

Hello

my girlfriend and I are planning on buying a single family home in about 10 months. We both have pretty good salaries and have agreed on a monthly payment that will be affordable to us.
My question is, how do we apply for a loan if we are not married. My credit is excellent and hers if "so-so". Would I be the main applicant and her as co-signor. Can we both be the applicant? Will they review both of our credits together and come up with an approved loan amount based on both our salaries together?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regular Contributor
psychoinhell

Re: Pre-approved home loan for unmarried couples?

Legally you can.  The sale can be a Tenancy in Common or Joint Tenancy (the two most common versions).  Now the extra paperwork of doing a mortage in such a way... sorry that I cannot answer for you. 

I would suggest you talk to a realitor or a mortage officer where you bank.

Starting Score: 600ish in 2007
Highest Score to date: EQ 716 May 2012(lender pull)
Current Score: EQ 685 6-21-12 ; Walmart TU Fico 744 6-05-12
Goal Score: 801
MarineVietVet

Re: Pre-approved home loan for unmarried couples?

Locking this thread. The same thing is asked here.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}